Topic: turn signals

whyforjim    -- 11-15-2021 @ 9:30 AM
  I'd like to start looking into putting turn signals on my 1940 Ford Coupe. Can anyone direct me to a good article to get me started?

trjford8    -- 11-16-2021 @ 9:06 AM
  Do you want to use existing lights on the car or are you adding lights? It's a fairly simple process and most all turn signal switches come with instructions. Let us know what lights you plan to use.

Carcheologist    -- 11-27-2021 @ 7:21 AM
  I did my own turn signal conversion on my '40 Tudor. The car is still 6 volt positive ground. I ran into trouble with conventional flashers not being able to "flash" properly. The flash pulse rate was too fast and didn't give a distinctive bright flash at a normal flash interval. It must have something to do with the positive ground. You will need one of these to make your signals perform correctly. I installed one and it immediately took care of the problem...

https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-6-volt-led-3-prong-120-watt-positive-chassis.aspx

You'll notice it has an extra lead wire. Hook it up according to the instructions and it will work perfectly.

TomO    -- 11-27-2021 @ 8:39 AM
  You can change the flash rate of any flasher by opening the can and adjusting the points. The thermal type flasher does not work very well with 6V LEDs. The relay type flasher like the Signalstat 181 do not need a load to flash, so they work very well with LED lights or incandescent bulbs.

You need to make a few decisions about installing turn signals before you buy a kit:
Do you want to use your current stop lights and parking lights for turn signals? If you do, do you want to convert your parking light sockets to the 2 element bulb, or just use the parking lights?

Do you want to add four lights to use as turn signals? Do you want to use the rear ones as additional stop lights?

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-27-2021 @ 1:47 PM
  whyforjim,
I installed a turn signal with hazard flasher system in my 1940 Ford Deluxe Tudor a few years ago. Since I didn't want to add additional lights for the turn signals, I incorporated the system into the original parking and taillight housings.
I have written up a detailed instruction list of all the parts and procedures required to accomplish this task. If you are interested in doing the job in the same way that I did, send me a personal message with you street address and I will send you, via the USPS, a complete set of instructions.
Chuck

2manybikes    -- 11-29-2021 @ 8:33 AM
  carcrazy, did you use incandescent or led bulbs in your conversion?

carcrazy    -- 11-29-2021 @ 1:34 PM
  2manybikes, I used incandescent 6V bulbs. In order to get the dual filament bulbs to fit under the parking light lenses, it was necessary to use small globe bulbs (P.N. V13465HR6) from MAC's. Also purchased from MAC's were
two tail light wiring & sockets P.N. V13410B (01C-13410) to be used for the front lights.

2manybikes    -- 11-29-2021 @ 1:44 PM
  Thanks for your prompt and detailed response!

1931 Flamingo    -- 11-30-2021 @ 10:51 AM
  CARCRAZY

Would you send me a set of the instructions on how you did it??
Can't see how to send a PM.

P.S. Nelson
51 Harding St
New Britain, CT 06052
Thank you ! !
Paul in CT

carcrazy    -- 11-30-2021 @ 2:17 PM
  1931 Flamingo, The instructions are on their way to you. carcrazy

This message was edited by carcrazy on 11-30-21 @ 2:20 PM

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-01-2021 @ 10:26 AM
  Thank you so much. I installed them on my Model A years ago, but the 40 is a little different with the rear lights "tied" together.
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 12-01-2021 @ 2:11 PM
  To send a PM, look at a reply from Carcrazy and on the bar where is name is, look on the right side for the "SEND P.M." block. Click on that and type your message. It will go to Carcrazy.

Tom

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-02-2021 @ 11:08 AM
  Now I've got it, Thank You.
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15296