Topic: Speedometer noise

2manybikes    -- 11-11-2021 @ 3:33 PM
  The speedometer started making very unhappy noises today. It still registered the speed but I disconnected it under the dash. Any ideas?

nelsb01    -- 11-11-2021 @ 5:39 PM
  Does the needle also jump around?

If so, I would suggest adding some liquid graphite to the cable.
I have had the same sqealing noise and jumping needle, and every time a dose of liquid graphite quiets it down and returns the needle to function as it is suppose to.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-11-2021 @ 6:23 PM
  what year car? and speedometer maker? some of the makers (waltham) put a little slide open door above the threaded connection on the back of the speedo, move the door over and add a little light oil, KS just had a very small hole in this location with sort of a cup-again add a little light oil to this. this oils the bushing on the back of the speedometer

2manybikes    -- 11-12-2021 @ 5:42 AM
  Thank you both for your replies. I will try the liquid graphite and check the back of the speedometer for a place to add oil. It was jumping, perhaps 5 mph both ways. The car is a 1940 Deluxe.

carcrazy    -- 11-12-2021 @ 7:23 AM
  Be careful driving the car with a jumping speedometer needle. I drove mine on the highway with a jumping needle and after bouncing off of the high end peg a few times the needle broke off.

2manybikes    -- 11-24-2021 @ 11:36 AM
  As best as I can tell, there is no opening on the back of the speedometer to add oil. I even felt the top of it with no luck. Any ideas?

trjford8    -- 11-25-2021 @ 7:48 AM
  I usually pull out the inner cable and lube it with white lithium grease. That way you can also check the inner cable for wear or any other type damage. If all looks good with the cable you may need to send the speedometer out to a shop that can take it apart and clean it.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-26-2021 @ 6:41 AM
  HI
You can get lock lube spray at just about any hardware store, it contains graphite
I would soak the inner cable, and drive the car with speedometer disconnected a few blocks
and re lube it and see what happens,
if you are in a cold climate, stay away from grease
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15282