Topic: Oil Bath Air Cleaner

JayRM    -- 11-11-2021 @ 5:42 AM
  What, please, are suggested ways of cleaning an "oil bath air cleaner" filter? And, is the same weight motor oil appropriate for refilling the air filter pan? How much oil should be put into the air filter pan?

I suppose a carb cleaner might work for the filter itself? Or, perhaps, a solvent of some kind?

Thank you.

Jules51    -- 11-11-2021 @ 12:46 PM
  I soaked it in kerosene then let is drip dry. Be careful if you use high pressure air, I don't advise it. I use the same oil as in my engine. Now that's how I do it on my 51.

Thanks
Jules51

40 Coupe    -- 11-12-2021 @ 4:50 AM
  The oil bath used engine oil and there is an embossed line in the metal base as a fill line.

JayRM    -- 11-14-2021 @ 4:07 PM
  Thank you.

JayRM    -- 11-14-2021 @ 4:08 PM
  Thank you.

JayRM    -- 11-21-2021 @ 12:48 PM
  I attempted to clean the oil-bath air filter for the carburetor today with a mixed sense of accomplishment. It appears that the "permanent" filter is affixed to the base. It seems that the only way to soak the filter, therefore, is to pour solvent into the filter and let it sit for awhile while it's draining into the bottom of the unit. Then, dipping it upside down and wiping out the residue of the solvent appears to be the way.

Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly?

Thank you.

trjford8    -- 11-21-2021 @ 1:38 PM
  If it were me, I would convert that air cleaner to a dry element. Much easier to work with and no mess. It can be hidden in the original metal can and no one knows.

carcrazy    -- 11-21-2021 @ 2:11 PM
  Oil bath air filters are not very effective at removing dust and dirt particles from the air flowing into the carburetor. If you want to maximize the life of your Flathead, my recommendation would be to use a pleated paper air filter when driving and touring. You can then install the stock type of air filter when the car is to be judged.

JayRM    -- 11-21-2021 @ 2:49 PM
  Am I correct in observing that the existing metal filter is, in fact, welded to the unit and not removable as it seems? If so, do I purchase a complete new air cleaner unit and use disposable filters without oil?

JayRM    -- 11-21-2021 @ 2:52 PM
  I think I should add this question. If I want to use a paper filter, where do I get a replacement - look original- housing for it?

Thank you.

carcrazy    -- 11-21-2021 @ 5:02 PM
  You can purchase a new air cleaner with paper filter element from Speedway Motors. Replacement filter elements are also available from them. These filters will not look like the stock unit but will provide the best engine protection for your engine while you are driving.

FordJ    -- 11-22-2021 @ 1:17 PM
  Where do you obtain a replacement filter and does it fit the original OEM 1940 Ford flathead air cleaner parts?

kubes40    -- 11-23-2021 @ 5:04 AM
  Jay, I believe you are over thinking this. The oil type filters offer great protection for your engine. Certainly, good enough to protect your engine from significant harm for our lifetime.
It's best to soak the filter in gasoline or other type cleaner (mineral spirits) and allow to dry.
Refill the housing to the proper level and enjoy your vehicle.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 11-24-2021 @ 5:32 AM
  I agree with Kube! I have driven the oil bath and they do catch a lot of dirt. Plus a tiny bit of oil vapor should be good for valves. In addition they seem to quiet engine noise a very small amount.

TomO    -- 11-24-2021 @ 7:36 AM
  I agree with Kube.

I fill a container with enough mineral spirits to completely immerse the the element and let it soak for about 15 minutes, agitating it a few times during the soak. Then I let it drain by supporting it off of the bottom of an empty pan for about another 30 minutes. Fill the bottom with a good quality single viscosity oil, assemble the air cleaner and install it on the car.

Paper air cleaners are more restrictive to air flow than oil bath cleaners. If you do go to a paper filter make sure that you have enough surface area to allow the engine to breathe. A quick check is to adjust the idle without the air cleaner and then install the air cleaner, while observing engine RPM. If the engine slows down a slight amount, the air cleaner is restricting air flow.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15281