Topic: generator motors

1931 Flamingo    -- 10-12-2021 @ 12:11 PM
  1940 coupe with a 48 engine.
What would cause a generator to "motor" with enough force to turn the engine over??
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 10-13-2021 @ 8:35 AM
  In order for the generator to motor, voltage has to be applied to the Field. With the motor not running, the cutout removes all Field voltage, so that the generator will not motor. If you have voltage at the Field terminal on the side of the generator, either you voltage regulator is bad or you have a wiring error.

Tom

1931 Flamingo    -- 10-13-2021 @ 12:19 PM
  Has been fine for about three years.Even with the wire off of the small stud on the side it still motors, enough to turn the engine over.
I have a thread going on the Barn but I thought I'd pick some brains over here.
Paul in CT

alanwoodieman    -- 10-13-2021 @ 4:41 PM
  should be two studs on side of generator case--one is field and second is a ground, rear stud is armature

TomO    -- 10-13-2021 @ 6:06 PM
  Remove the generator belt until you find the problem to prevent damage to the generator. leave the ignition switch off.

If the generator motors as soon as you connect the battery:

Check each terminal of the voltage regulator. The only one that should have voltage is the BAT terminal. If any of the other terminals have voltage, the voltage regulator is bad.

If the generator does not motor, turn on the ignition switch to see if that makes it motor. If it does, you have a wiring error or short between the ignition wire and the generator wiring.

Alanwoodieman, the 1939 and 1940 Ford generators did not have the ground stud. They relied on the case ground at the generator and voltage regulator end.

Your generator may have been damaged by the wiring error.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-13-21 @ 6:11 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 10-13-2021 @ 7:16 PM
  said he had a 1948 motor actually and an engine! two studs off generator. motors are externally powered, engines are internally powered--at least that is what the NAVY taught me.

RAK402    -- 10-15-2021 @ 10:46 PM
  I had the generator in my 1940 Ford "motor" about 15 years ago.

I had just installed it after purchasing it from a reputable vintage car parts place.

I had never heard of polarizing a generator, but after researching it, this seemed to be the problem.

After polarizing it, it never did it again.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15211