Topic: Can I roll the car with no tranny?

pech33    -- 10-05-2021 @ 8:03 AM
  I am pulling the transmission out of my convertible and sending it to VanPelt today. My question is: once I remove the transmission, I want to bolt the frame back to the rear spring and roll the car out of the shop into another garage. There is nothing to hold the front of the torque tube/driveline in place. Is this an issue? Is there a way to support it? I have the engine supported with a thick wide, ratchet strap that appears to be plenty strong to hold the engine in place.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

This message was edited by pech33 on 10-5-21 @ 8:05 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 10-05-2021 @ 9:22 AM
  no

TomO    -- 10-05-2021 @ 10:16 AM
  On my Mercury, the front of the torque tube would rest on the craossmember. I believe that the Ford would be the same.

Tom

pech33    -- 10-05-2021 @ 10:37 AM
  I’ll know when I get the transmission out and the spring back into place what it’s going to do. If there is any upward pressure on the floor I can insert a piece of wood between the floor and the tube to displace the pressure. I’ve never done this before, but I’m game. I don’t want to tie up the lift for two months or so until VanPelt is finished.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

nelsb01    -- 10-05-2021 @ 3:16 PM
  AH..........WHATS GOING TO HOLD UP THE REAR OF THE ENGINE ONCE THE TRANSMISSION IS REMOVED?

While it will be OK to replace the rearend and torque tube--- there is nothing holding the rear of the engine up.

If you remember you will be using a jack and a 2x4 to support the rear of the engine to get the trans out --- so, rolling the vehicle around will not happen without possible damage to the engine front engine mounts.

You MAYBE able to use a 2x4 across the wishbone to support the engine and THEN be able to move the vehicle. Not familiar with 1940 clearance in that area.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 10-5-21 @ 3:39 PM

pech33    -- 10-05-2021 @ 8:13 PM
  Got the trans out after a little wrestling match with the rear engine mount clearing the floorboard. We had to Jack the engine up to get the trans out. We used a 1” square tube steel between the wishbones to hold the engine. We did all of this on a ramp lift and had a telescoping transmission Jack that came in very handy. Other than having to use a ladder to get my 73 YO butt up into the cab, it was pretty smooth. My son and I were absolutely amazed at the engineering that went in to making this wishbone banjo rear end work.. One issue getting the torque tube out was the speedometer gear housing. Nowhere in any direction does it say to remove the housing from the tube. It was hanging up on the edge of the frame crossmember. Two bolts removed and it slid right out. While staring at the transmission, I noticed a big 59 cast into the bell housing. The mystery of the block is somewhat over. It is not an original 40 Ford engine even though the heads have a big A on them.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

RAK402    -- 10-05-2021 @ 8:54 PM
  I ended up purchasing an empty transmission case.

After I pulled the rear end back and removed the transmission, I could bolt the empty case in and push the care back into the garage.

A bit more work, but it was worth it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15190