Topic: Front shackle replacement

yooper trooper    -- 09-14-2021 @ 8:13 AM
  Front shackles on my 40 pick up are the 81 year old originals and need replacing. what is the best way to go about this without removing the spring??

kubes40    -- 09-15-2021 @ 7:36 AM
  You do not need to remove the spring. However, in the "long run" it's the easier way to proceed.
If you want to do this job properly, find a set of NOS or NORS shackle pins. The reproductions are poopy. Also, the nylon bushings, while MUCH easier to install, will not and can not return the vehicles designed handling and riding characteristics.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

yooper trooper    -- 09-16-2021 @ 6:08 AM
  Thanks for the reply. See if I have this right. 1. Jack up truck and place jack stands under the frame. 2. Spread spring so that shackles hang vertical. 3. Raise axle slightly until shackles hand loosely and remove them.

That work ok??

TomO    -- 09-16-2021 @ 7:56 AM
  Are you planning on just replacing the shackle bars? The shackle pins inside the spring eye and the axle are more likely to need replacement.

When I replaced my pins, I drove the center of the pins out, used a metal cutting jigsaw blade (just the blade, the jigsaw could not be positioned under the car close enough to use it) to make a cut in the outer casing of the pin and then used a chisel to get the outer casing out of the spring and axle.

Tom

yooper trooper    -- 09-16-2021 @ 8:32 AM
  Tom, plan is to replace old shackles with new ones from Speedway Automotive. Stock assemblies to be replaced with new nylon bushing type. My main concern is having to spread the spring. I do have a jaws of life type spreader. My truck is all original..any rubber parts from 1940 are rock hard black things now. It's a project and I enjoy working on it, it likes to fight back though.

TomO    -- 09-16-2021 @ 5:39 PM
  Do a search on this site (use "spring spreader", "all" in the past and all forums) for information on how some people have made their own spring spreader.

You can also rent a Port-a-Power with 2 wedge ends to spread the spring. Most tool rental shops have one. I would remove both springs and then return the tool while you replace the shackle pins, as it may take more than a few hours to do the job.

Once you have removed the shackle bars, it is easy to remove the spring to work on it.

Mike Kubarth mentioned handling differences with the nylon pins. I would take his advice and install new ones from Third Gen.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-17-2021 @ 9:02 AM
  hi
I just replaced the shackles on my 37,
this is a fairly hard job, be prepared !
I bought a spring spreader on E-BAY, it does front a rear, about $150.00
I Thought being the spring is 80 years old I would replace it,I found one from
FRED at SOUTHSIDE OBSOLETE , in MINN he has original NOS,FORD ORIGINALS,
now the car sits a little higher,and rides beter,
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman

yooper trooper    -- 09-18-2021 @ 6:28 AM
  Thanks Shackle replacement is on my schedule for next week. Wish me luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15147