Topic: Oil Pan holes

Ground Pounder    -- 06-17-2021 @ 10:44 AM
  I have a 35 V8 (24 studs not 21) that the oil pan has two pre-drilled holes in the bottom of it. One in front of the drain plug and one behind. The one in front has a kotter pin dangling in it, the back one doesn't. I leak oil from the back hole when the engine is running. Is this an overfill safety. The dip stick measures oil level at about the first 1/4 of the safe operating markings. Any info would help.

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-17-2021 @ 11:27 AM
  The cotter pin hanging is to prevent the bell housing from filling with oil from a leaky rear main and messing up your clutch.
Paul in CT

JayChicago    -- 06-17-2021 @ 2:50 PM
  There is one hole well behind the drain plug. Is in the bell housing area of the pan, behind the oil sump part of the pan. I am not aware of a second hole. Maybe others can shed light on that.

As 31 Flamingo said, the hole in the rear of the pan is a weep hole. All cars of the era leaked some oil past the rear main seal. There is an age-old saying: "if you are not dripping a little oil, you're out of oil!"

A cotter pin is hanging in the hole to prevent weeping oil from running along the bottom of the pan and collecting dirt on the pan. The cotter pin provides a drip point. Yes, the cotter pin is correct, from the factory. A typical Ford engineering solution: low tech, economical, effective.

40 Coupe    -- 06-18-2021 @ 4:16 AM
  Sounds like maybe a 35-6 oil pan with the inspection cover missing.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 06-18-2021 @ 9:12 AM
  hi ground pounder
what kind of oil breather cap are you using, ?
make sure it is not clogged, this maybe the cause of excessive oil leak,
to much crankcase pressure. forcing the oil out of the rear main bearing,
if you can move the crankshaft back and forth the main bearing are worn, at least the thrust side
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14931