Topic: fan shroud

o2bnkc    -- 05-31-2021 @ 1:41 AM
  Does anyone make a fan shroud for my 1940? Original engine and radiator except it's missing the deflectors. Does anybody sell the deflectors? Do they work?

A Proud Navy Vet

trjford8    -- 05-31-2021 @ 7:39 AM
  If you are talking about the air deflectors that fit between the radiator and the grille you can buy them from Drake or other V-8 vendors. The '40 did not have a fan shroud. There is also a pan that fits below the radiator that mounts to the grille and the radiator mounting bolts.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-31-21 @ 7:41 AM

TomO    -- 05-31-2021 @ 5:24 PM
  There are also 2 pans that fit along side of the engine to help direct the engine heat out of the engine compartment.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 06-01-2021 @ 7:36 AM
  Walker has a line of plastic shrouds. But I don't know if there is one sized for your radiator. With these, you cut the hole to fit your fan.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/walker-radiator-fan-shrouds~8193-10027-1075

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-01-2021 @ 12:08 PM
  Why are you looking for the deflectors?? Are you overheating?? My 40 runs mid gauge, not t/stats, no deflectors.
Paul in CT 48 block, hi-comp Kogel cast iron finned heads.

o2bnkc    -- 06-06-2021 @ 4:35 PM
  Yes, it runs hot at times. Is there a way to get the replies to questions in my email? I see a choice for private messages, but not anything I ask on here. What am I missing ?

A Proud Navy Vet

This message was edited by o2bnkc on 6-6-21 @ 4:43 PM

o2bnkc    -- 06-06-2021 @ 4:43 PM
  Will that pan help?

A Proud Navy Vet

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-07-2021 @ 6:07 AM
  What condition is your radiator in??
Paul in CT

You could also post your e-mail address if so inclined.

Naval Air 65-69, never saw a ship or plane, instructor duty at Officer Candidate School, Newport, R.I.

This message was edited by 1931 Flamingo on 6-7-21 @ 11:46 AM

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 06-07-2021 @ 6:53 AM
  If you have your Private Messaging turned on -- then you will recieve an email about you having a Private Message.

Web Administrator

o2bnkc    -- 06-07-2021 @ 9:17 PM
  What I am saying is, why don't these replies on here come to my email address like other forums I am on?

A Proud Navy Vet

o2bnkc    -- 06-07-2021 @ 9:19 PM
  I'm not sure. I just bought this thing a couple of months ago. I gueess it could be in better shape, since it's not doing a very good job of keeping the water cool.

A Proud Navy Vet

o2bnkc    -- 06-07-2021 @ 9:20 PM
  I think those are missing, also.

A Proud Navy Vet

RAK402    -- 06-07-2021 @ 9:58 PM
  I have fought temperature/heat problems for years in my Fordor Sedan...Some of it was actual, some of it was perceived.

1) I had modern/repro temperature probes in the heads (due to this forum, I now know that there should only be one and it should be in the left/driver's side head). When running two, one is supposed to go open when the temp gets to high (approximately 212 degrees-telling the gauge to read full hot), the other is supposed to have a bimetal strip with contacts that open and close due to a combination of heat and current running through them (this is the one that sends the temperature information to the gauge). The modern ones that are supposed to open when the coolant boils have a solid state device (thermistor) that goes open at 175 degrees (I took one apart and looked up the component to see what the temperature rating was). This is somewhat less than enchanting as when it goes opens at 175 degrees the gauge goes all the way to HOT and you think you are overheating when you aren't. Measuring the temperature in the top of the radiator proved that it was not overheating. A kind soul took pity on my and sold me a pair of NOS temperature probes, so that issue is resolved.
2) The thermostats creep up in the hoses and bind, so they don't work properly. Securing them so that they cannot escape from their proper location and crawl up into the hoses helped a great deal.
3) I did replace the radiator with a new/repro one-partially because I didn't really trust the original one from a heat standpoint, partially because it was sooooo ugly.
4) I also changed the water pumps to the modern, high volume ones. I am not sure how much good this did (there is a lot of debate on this), but it certainly didn't hurt anything.

Identifying and correcting these issues resolved my cooling problems.

As a side note, I have had an electric fan mounted to the front of the radiator for years-it never helped a lot, and with the other changes (above) I haven't had to use it recently.

This message was edited by RAK402 on 6-7-21 @ 10:05 PM

o2bnkc    -- 06-08-2021 @ 5:42 PM
  Thanks RAK402. Some helpful info there. I was thinking about getting an electric fan. I know it is running hot because I can smell coolant sometimes.

A Proud Navy Vet

This message was edited by o2bnkc on 6-8-21 @ 5:42 PM

o2bnkc    -- 06-08-2021 @ 5:43 PM
  Thanks for everybody's input. There's a lot I need to learn about these engines.

A Proud Navy Vet

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-09-2021 @ 7:33 AM
  Again: What condition is your radiator in?? Do you have a Digital temp gun (Harbor Freight)??
There should be about a 30* difference between the coolant at the top of the radiator and the bottom of the radiator. JMO
Paul in CT

sarahcecelia    -- 06-10-2021 @ 8:52 AM
  My '40 convertible is competely stock and NEVER OVERHEATS!!, even in the summer here in Florida when it is 99 degrees out. If yours does there is a problem somewhere.- Pure anti freeze(not 50/50), dirty radiator and entire cooling system, retarded timing,bad thermostats; and the list goes on and on! Ford motor company "NEVER MADE AN AUTOMOBILE THAT HAD AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM," if they did people would be going back to the dealers in DROVES!! ; and that never happened- I was 18 in 1955, and the owner of Downs Ford was Bill Downs, my Sunday School teacher, and a famly friend, and I surely would have known about it! My Crestliner also NEVER OVERHEATS! Almost everybody I meet, almost always seems to mention that these cars are noted for overheating. "How come mine don't??" Simple answer is:" I know how to set them up!"(TO FACTORY SPECS!!) If you want me to tell you how, just reply to this thread, and ask me.I tell you step by step, what to do.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14875