Topic: different carb base plates

alanwoodieman    -- 04-06-2021 @ 2:10 PM
  I have a few 91-99 cars, both Holley and Ford and some of the base plates have a different shape to them-is there any info know about this. also in a box I have not been in awhile I have a chandler groves with Holly H on side and 91-99 where does this carb fit. I have been doing my homework and reading your new book!!

kubes40    -- 04-06-2021 @ 3:54 PM
  Yikes, you really are making my little brain work hard. I'm not so certain I can recall all of this stuff. Especially the things not directly 1940.

The "different" base plate? From the drawings I'd inspected, all carbs for 1940 had the same shaped base. I've attached a photo that depicts that plate. I'd also looked at (too) many factory photos and all had the same plate.

As I'm certain you realize, Chandler -Grove was out of the picture before 1940 production - at least as far as the assembly line goes. There is some indication that C-G supplied carburetors to the aftermarket for some time after 1938. How long they supplied those I have no clue.

The C-G carburetor you have...does it have Ford cast on the bowl section?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

alanwoodieman    -- 04-07-2021 @ 7:43 PM
  I will take some pictures and post them of the base plates and of the CG carb with the H cast into it and also has 91-99. Back in the past I was told that Holley purchased or merged with Chandler-Groves sometime in 1938? or so and then Holley made carbs for Ford and Ford made them also. If Ford was making them it must have been under license from H or CG??? or the other way around. Told you, you were keeping up at night reading your book!

ford38v8    -- 04-07-2021 @ 8:51 PM
  Henry Ford was adept at contractual wording. His agreement with Chandler Grove specified that he would assume ownership of the carburetor design should CG fail to deliver quantities in a timely fashion. They failed as expected, Ford quickly took possession of the molds and bought out the bankrupted CG company. 1939 model year was then completed with an F or an H near the accelerator pump. All 1939 carbs were identified with the 91-99, and some early 1939 carbs did still have the CG logo, while others were made with the Ford logo. Additionally, the early 91-99 markings can be seen to have been engraved directly into molds, while later 91-99 model marks were as later models, marked onto replaceable coins in the molds, as carb bodies remained the same for several years, only differing in the controls and the vents.

Alan

alanwoodieman    -- 04-08-2021 @ 12:58 PM
  pictures are of a CG carb with funny baseplate, 91-99-H all on same carb. other base plate was just one I had to compare, then I found three other carbs with 91-99, both H and F with same baseplates. they look a lot like stromberg

kubes40    -- 04-10-2021 @ 6:45 AM
  I'd forgot all about that style "funny looking base" plate. I've seen those and unfortunately can't add any comment based on real proof or documentation. Sorry.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 04-11-2021 @ 4:57 AM
  I believe the non typical base is a bit later such as during the war or slightly after.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14734