Topic: 12 V conversion

fritz347    -- 03-27-2021 @ 3:14 PM
  Hello Gents. New here.
Just bought my 40 Tudor

First project will be to upgrade to 12v system. Much info on the inter web,
Just thought that I'd do my first official post and ask for any suggestions / comments on the project.

Tks for your response

alanwoodieman    -- 03-27-2021 @ 5:22 PM
  for what reason are you doing this 12v conversion? my 40 wagon has been on 6volts for over 80 years and cranks good

kubes40    -- 03-27-2021 @ 5:31 PM
  I too would like to know why you think 12v. is an "upgrade"?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fritz347    -- 03-27-2021 @ 6:18 PM
  Like I said, This is my first 6 V adventure.
Lights dim at idle ???
Most all of my hot rods buds suggesting the 12v. As Most all of the major manufactures went 12v 53-54...must be a improvement.

I guess bottom line, not sure.

kubes40    -- 03-27-2021 @ 7:44 PM
  Six volt works just fine when the system is set up properly. By "properly" it must have good grounds. Both ends must be made to clean (paint free) places and the cables must be the correct gauge. The generator must be properly rebuilt. The mounting points between the generator and manifold must be clean and free of paint.
Starter? Again, a properly rebuilt unit and again, no paint between the mounting points.
Lights? Once again, proper grounds are imperative.
I'm currently restoring my seventeenth 39 - 40 Ford and all start and run (and charge) wonderfully on 6v.

There's no need to reinvent your '40. Many of us are here daily to help you should you have issues with your "new" car.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fritz347    -- 03-28-2021 @ 6:34 AM
  Tks for your insight Mike. Makes sense to not try to re-invent. Will take your advice!

My plan for the 40 is to keep it "Traditional" to the style a kid in the 50s-60s would hop -up his ride. The car came with a 42 Merc engine. So maybe a dual carb with dual exhausts
No major suspension mod, maybe a kiss lower in the front

I got lucky with the body. Texas car. Found it 20 min from my house. Pretty unusual here in W Ney York

This will be my 16th proj car..... been down the boulevard a few times .I have a great work shop, equipped with metal fab tools & machine shop

So, thanks to all, in advance for all the upcoming dumb a$$ questions

Ed

This message was edited by fritz347 on 3-28-21 @ 8:03 AM

TomO    -- 03-28-2021 @ 12:48 PM
  I have hot rodded cars and driven stock cars, as a teenager in the 50's, as an adult and as a senior citizen. The first thing that I learned about cars as an adult is leave then stock. They run better, are easier to maintain and cost less to operate. A well designed dual exhaust probably the only exception, because it helps to carry the heat out of the engine compartment.

Traditional 50's car would have had the rear end lower than the front end. Dual carbs look nice but are a pain to keep in tune. I always had trouble with the gauges when I went to 12 volts, so I kept my 40 Merc and my 53 Lincoln 6 volts.

Dim lights are caused by low voltage to the bulbs and by old bulbs. The 6 volt bulbs need at least 6 volts to them for normal brightness. Sources of excess resistance in the circuit are: dimmer switch, light switch and bullet connectors not seated properly. Do a voltage drop test to find out where the excess resistance is.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-28-21 @ 12:57 PM

fritz347    -- 03-29-2021 @ 6:31 AM
  Thanks Gents for your insight.....6V it will stay

trjford8    -- 03-31-2021 @ 7:16 AM
  fritz, if you are new to '40 Fords you might want to purchase the V-8 Club's new 1940 Ford book. Lots of great info for the '40 owner. You can purchase it on the front page of this site.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14716