Topic: No dash lights

o2bnkc    -- 03-10-2021 @ 7:18 PM
  I just bought my 40 a few days ago. Replaced the battery and fuel filter. Now it purrs like a kitten. I just noticed my dash lights don't work. Headlights and tail lights work. I see there are no fuses on this car. Can the dash switch be bad, or where should I start? Thanks.

kubes40    -- 03-11-2021 @ 4:22 AM
  I'd suggest you remove and test the bulbs first. If the bulbs test good, then disconnect the two wires that go to the rheostat and connect them to each other (by pass the switch) and see what that does.
Let me know how this works.
Usually it's either bad bulbs or that rheostat.
You will find once they are in fact working, they are not bright at all.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Just wanted to add a congratulations on your "new" '40!
I'm here to help you as you dive in to this vehicle. And, there are others that are also very helpful.
Welcome aboard!

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-11-21 @ 8:47 AM

40 Coupe    -- 03-11-2021 @ 4:52 AM
  Check the dimmer rheostat to make sure it is turned up to make the dash lights bright.

trjford8    -- 03-11-2021 @ 6:40 AM
  Don't know if you are new to '40 Fords or not, but the dash light switch is separate from the headlight switch. The dash light dimmer switch is near the steering column and is a round knob that sticks down from the bottom of the dash. Also if this is your first '40 Ford you might want to purchase the '40 Ford Book that has just come out . You can purchase it on this site.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-12-2021 @ 8:34 AM

no dash lights,
if the switch is defective, you may be able to R and R, and clean it, with electric motor cleaner,
soak it and turn on and off, a few times, then check it with a ohm meter to see if it works.
could be corroded inside,
if switch is no good , put both wires on one terminal, and dash light will work when you turn on the
headlights lights
hope this helps 37Ragtopman , Maine

o2bnkc    -- 03-13-2021 @ 4:41 PM
  Thanks for the help, and yes I did order the book.

o2bnkc    -- 03-13-2021 @ 4:51 PM
  I didn't know that. That helps.

A Proud Navy Vet

sarahcecelia    -- 03-17-2021 @ 7:58 PM
  Ragtopman,
I could use that electric motor cleaner om my Snapon tach/ dwells. The contacts might be dirty causing them not to work, (The 4 that I had asked for someone that could repair them, in a previous thread.) Where can I buy it? how much is the cost, what is the name of it, and brand? Thanks!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 3-17-21 @ 8:00 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14668