Topic: 6 Volt Electronic Distributor

pech33    -- 02-21-2021 @ 4:57 PM
  Has anyone installed a Stromberg 6 Volt Distributor. I just bought a 40 convertible that is completely stock. Just wondering what to expect. Not sure about converting to 12 volt or not. It only has a heater, radio (that doesn't work) and front and rear lights.

TomO    -- 02-22-2021 @ 8:26 AM
  My opinion is that you do not need to either one.

The dual point system in the stock Ford distributor is good for 15,000 miles.

I have been driving my 40 for over 40 years with a 6 volt system and I have a working radio and heater. I have had battery problems due to the battery sulfating and my starter went out on me, but those would have happened even if I had changed over to a 12 volt system.

Do a search on electronic ignition on this forum to see other opinions.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 02-22-2021 @ 2:40 PM
  Pech33, Welcome!

I think most of us here would agree wholeheartedly with what TomO has said, for two over-reaching reasons:

1. Originality is important, for both resale value and for prestige at the car show. If you are fortunate enough to have an original car, you should strive to keep it as original as possible.

2. Most aftermarket parts are not as good as originals, often have poor reputation for reliability, and can introduce new problems. If an original part is suspect, better to have it rebuilt by one of the craftsmen known to have expertise with that part. This would apply to distributors, coils, carburetors, etc. You will then have a replacement part as good or better than when new, and usually better than a new aftermarket part. The people on this forum can guide you on where to find help with individual parts.

carcrazy    -- 02-22-2021 @ 10:20 PM
  A stock '40 Ford is a great car as it is. I don't know what you intend to do with the car. If you intend to drive it on long trips as I have done with the '40 Deluxe Tudor that I once owned, I would carry a few spares: a rebuilt stock distributor that has been properly set up, a new or rebuilt fuel pump, a spare coil, a set of brushes and springs for the generator, and a set of new properly gapped spark plugs. If the hoses, water pumps and belts have not recently been replaced, I would carry spares for those also. Of course you realize that anything for which you have a spare will never break - it will be something that you haven't considered that will act up. Welcome to the group. Enjoy driving your beautiful '40 as much as possible!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14632