Topic: Opera (jump) seats

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-19-2020 @ 7:02 AM
  My coupe has the above mentioned seats. On the Ford Barn swap site there are pictures of the bottom of the seats showing springs wrapped around the side mounting shaft. I assume to hold the seats in a fold up position. Does anyone have a source for these springs or an alternative??
Right now mine are in the down position and a Minnie Mouse doll (4 1/2 ft tall) is sitting on one.
Thanks in advance.
Paul in CT

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY SAFE HEALTHY NEW YEAR to Everyone ! ! ! !

ken ct.    -- 12-19-2020 @ 7:45 AM
  Thanks Paul,dont know anything on the jump seats except mabey hardware store springs cut to fit. Stay safe in walking in the snow and ice. Please dont fall !!! ken & peg isidor. . Have a Merry xmas and a happy new yr. Too bad about Powder Mill swaps . Looking to buy some 34-40 fuel pump cores or even parts of them ? ken ct 1-203-260-9780

ford38v8    -- 12-19-2020 @ 8:29 AM
  Paul, I dunno about the springs, but if a Trooper catches you in the Car Pool lane with Minnie, you're gonna pay, pay, pay!

Alan

trjford8    -- 12-19-2020 @ 9:45 AM
  Paul, those springs are unique to the opera seat. I doubt that they are reproduced, but you might find them from a vendor with a good NOS supply of parts. The springs are similar to those used on the the throttle mechanism, except one end is a lot longer to grab one leg of the seat. Each seat has one spring.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-20-20 @ 8:18 AM

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-19-2020 @ 11:23 AM
  MINNIE is in the back. No problems.
Paul

kubes40    -- 12-19-2020 @ 11:43 AM
  Paul,
Correctly stated in an earlier post, those springs have not been reproduced nor were they a service part. Thus, the odds of anyone having one or more on their swap table is zero.
I have purchased otherwise decrepit seats on eBay simply for the springs.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-20-2020 @ 7:56 AM
  Looks like they haven't been there since last upholstered (black r&p) in the 50/60 time frame. I can live without them.
Thanks everyone ! Paul

57yrDream40    -- 01-17-2021 @ 11:02 AM
  On the subject of Opera Seats, my coupe has them and I was very excited to see they were still there when I purchased the coupe. My question is not about the springs, but I am wanting to keep this coupe as close to factory as possible. There have been very small changes such as bumper, headlight rings, and a small hole drilled in the dash for whatever purpose I do not know. I have searched and searched to find pictures of those seats as they were in 1940 with no luck. The cushions look like boat cushions but the frames and backs appear to be original. I purchased Mike's book in hopes there is something in there, should have that in a couple of days, THANK YOU Mike! If anyone has pics of the original look I would be grateful. This is my first post so hope I didn't butt in.

Respectfully, And

kubes40    -- 01-17-2021 @ 2:19 PM
  Welcome aboard!
I've attached two photos of authentic auxiliary seats for the Ford Business Coupe. You can see what they (authentic seats) looked like to some degree. Of course, the material was respective of the model (Deluxe vs. Ford V8) as well as the upholstery chosen.
Hope this helps.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-17-21 @ 2:20 PM

cpipp01@aol.com    -- 01-17-2021 @ 5:31 PM
  See attached

57yrDream40    -- 01-17-2021 @ 7:45 PM
  Thank you for the pics, much appreciated. I seem to have what I need. Just missing the rubber tips for the front leg support, saw those in Bob Drake catalog. Well, and the upholstery fabric which is a whole different issue, but working on that. This is awesome! I wasn't sure if there were any pads attached as backrests or if it was just the seat. Thank you again.

Ande

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14426