Topic: 940 Ford Deluxe Sedan - where to find information

txguykevin    -- 11-28-2020 @ 6:24 AM
  I have obtained this 1940 Ford Deluxe Sedan as a pass down.

I have no idea how to start it - where can one find a good set of step by step instructions on how to start a 1940 Ford Deluxe Sedan?

Also it has been sitting for several years without it having been started; are there a list of things I should consider/check/perform prior to attempting to start the car?

Thanks!

1940 Tom    -- 11-28-2020 @ 7:43 AM
  Good Morning Kevin--

Welcome!

My fellow club members will be swamping you with excellent tips, advice, and instructions regarding your sedan in the very near future.

Since the car has been sitting for a long time, whatever gas was in the tank is history. Drain the tank, remove it and clean it thoroughly - inside and out. Engine oil should be drained and replaced. Cooling system should be drained, flushed, and new coolant added. Radiator hoses are probably gone, so replace those also. The transmission and rear axle fluids should be replaced.. Tires should be replaced, including tubes. Do an electrical check - any broken or frayed wiring? A new battery, and both cables, are essential.

I would do this BEFORE you think about starting the car. And this is just a short list of what should be done. Looks like you have your work cut out for you on this project.

Starting the car is relatively simple. Ignition switch is on the right side of the steering column, below the steering wheel. Insert the ignition key and turn it 180 degrees. The steering wheel lock "plunger" should come out. Push the starter button - lower left corner of the dash. The throttle and choke knobs are in the center of the dash - marked "T" and "C". Adjust as needed. Once the car starts, release the button.

What part of Texas do you live in? Check the Regional Club Directory on the left side of this screen. I would consider joining a Regional Group in your area, which will let you get up close and personal with members who are very familiar with 1940 Fords, and can give you further help.

Good luck with your project.

Tom

TomO    -- 11-28-2020 @ 8:19 AM
  There are many things that should be done before you start and drive the car.There will likely be quite a few problems with a car that has set for years. Some of them are that the clutch is stuck to the flywheel and the brakes are stuck to the drums. In any case, once you have started the engine, you will have to make a complete survey of the mechanical condition of the car before it is driven on the street.

The gas in the car has probably deteriorated, so it should be drained. I use an 8 inch adjustable wrench to remove the drain plug, but they can be very difficult to remove if the plug hasn't been removed since it left the factory. If that is the case with your car, I would remove the fuel tank and have it cleaned and coated to prevent rust.

Next change the oil using a good grade of 10w 30 oil. The old oil may look good, but it probably has some contaminants from setting so long. Changing the coolant at this time is also a good idea.

Next you will have to make sure that the battery is good and that it is connected with POS terminal to ground for a 6 volt battery. Push the clutch in and crank the engine over for about 30 seconds with the ignition off. If it is a 12 volt battery, it should be connected with the NEG post to ground. If there is no battery in the car, try to find some record of how the car was maintained. Remove a tail light bulb or the license light bulb to check the voltage on the bulb and replace the battery with one with the same voltage as the bulb.

Once you have good gas, and a good battery, prime the carburetor with a good starting fluid, pull the choke knob (the one with the "C" on it) out all of the way, push the clutch in and press the starter button. The car should start. If it starts and dies, pump the accelerator pedal twice and retry. Give it some gas after it starts. Push the choke in almost all the way and pull the throttle knob out about 1/4", then push the choke in. Slowly let out the clutch.

If the car doesn't start with the above procedures, you might have to do a tune up to replace parts tha have corroded over the years.

Others may post their ideas with corrections to my post. Read them carefully and consider doing what they say.

Tom

1940 Tom    -- 11-28-2020 @ 9:22 AM
  OOPS! I forgot a couple things in my email.

As Tom O has correctly stated (I agree with all his advice), remember that this a 6 volt system, and the battery is POSITIVE (not negative) ground. Be sure you have a battery charger or jumper cables correctly connected.

Starting the car - I forgot the most important step. There a small lever on the right side of the steering column. That's the ignition switch. Flip it UP to turn On the ignition, and flip it DOWN to shut the engine Off. You can crank the new battery forever, but the car won't start without the ignition switch turned ON. When you turn it on, the dash gauges should come to life, so that's a good sign that current is flowing.

Tom

alanwoodieman    -- 11-28-2020 @ 9:30 AM
  my best advice has already been suggested--find some one with flathead ford knowledge and let them walk you thru it, not hard but flathead engines are quirky to say the least. in the meantime pull the plugs and put about one ounce of 1/23 acetone, 1/2 atf in the cylinders to help clean out the gunk

ford38v8    -- 11-28-2020 @ 2:30 PM
  Kevin, you’ve been given good advice, but you may wish to first consider how much interest you actually have in pursuing the old car hobby, as you apparently had no interest before you inherited your Ford. The hobby is expensive, time consuming, requires a study of musty old books, multiple friendships with crusty old farts like us, temperature controlled space to not only store and work on your Ford, but to include considerable additional space for spare parts, and the obligatory beer refrigerator as found in all such spaces. If you have not considered these most serious consequences of what you got yourself into, you’d be well to just pass your luck forward and move on.

Alan

kubes40    -- 11-28-2020 @ 4:44 PM
  Welcome Kevin!

There's been some good advice already given.
TomO is my "go to" guy at times for electrical stuff that I just can't figure out. He always makes it sound so simple 1940Tom knows his stuff as well.

I'm here as well. Between us and surely others, we'll get ya going - no worries. Don't get discouraged.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

txguykevin    -- 12-02-2020 @ 3:28 PM
  Thanks all for you welcomes and feedback. It is very helpful and good to know have others who know all that key information. While I live in Texas, the car is located in Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP).

So is there anyone that is on here or know of a good POC in the MSP area that one could have look over the car and do what may need to be done to it prior to getting it started, etc.?

Enjoy your week!

trjford8    -- 12-03-2020 @ 11:12 AM
  Kevin, since you are here on the website go to the Regional Club Directory in the left menu and you will find a V-8 Club RG in Minnesota on the list. Call the president of the group and I'm sure he can help you.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-4-20 @ 6:39 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14363