Topic: Radiator Mounting Questions...

RAK402    -- 11-09-2020 @ 12:59 PM
  I am in the process of replacing the existing radiator in my 40 Deluxe Sedan with a new, Bob Drake one.

There are two, black, sheet metal panels on ether side of the outer/painted grill, that prevent air from going around the radiator on the sides. the rear, vertical edges of these panels are folded 90 degrees toward the outside of the car (about 3/16").

The original radiator (at least, the one that was in the car when I purchased it in 1975) when installed had a channel on each side of the front of the radiator which the vertical edges of the sheet metal panels described above, slide down in to.

I never knew if this was correct.

The new radiator that I am in the process of installing will not easily slide into these. I don't want to stress the radiator and always wondered why Ford would go the the trouble of mounting the radiator on rubber pads, with cushioning springs above the mounting feet, and the rigidly mount the radiator to the fenders via these panels.

Had my car been assembled incorrectly the entire time I have had it, or do the panels need to be interlocked with the radiator?

Thank you all in advance.

kubes40    -- 11-09-2020 @ 2:19 PM
  Those panels were not attached to the radiator but rather were located (once installed) within close proximity to the radiator.
The springs atop is correct. While it may be easier to install them below the frame at this point, it was easier to install them above when the car was being assembled.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402    -- 11-09-2020 @ 3:55 PM
  Thank you for the very rapid response, sir.

That will make the installation of the new radiator much easier!

I will still have to drill out the holes in the feet of the new radiator as they are about 1/4" off (the overall distance between the two) and it is impossible to get the bolts through them without applying great stress to the radiator, if at all.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14314