Topic: 40 Ford Convertible cowl compared to a 40 Merc Con

luckylindy6480    -- 10-27-2020 @ 1:32 PM
  Mike, 40 Ford Convertible & Wagon cowl windshield garnish moldings are different than 40 closed cars, BUT is a 40 Mercury Convertible windshield garnish molding "the same as" a 40 Ford? If different could you go into detail = in what way? Thanks Ted

kubes40    -- 10-27-2020 @ 4:50 PM
  Ted,
I must apologize in that I can't answer your question with 100% certainty.

I have not restored nor had much to do with '40 Merc. convertibles.

The moldings have different part numbers which leads me to strongly believe they are definitely different than Ford.
How? That's the part I am unable to answer.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

luckylindy6480    -- 10-27-2020 @ 9:13 PM
  Mike, I did look up the part numbers and as you said they are different than a Ford convertible/wagon. And like you I have never messed with a 40 Mercury (never had any interest in them). This is just "for what it's worth", in 40, Mercury made a convertible sedan Ford didn't (no matter what or who said they did) AND in 40, Mercury didn't make a station wagon and Ford did (both a Deluxe & Standard). The reason I mention Mercury making the convertible sedan is - got up close to one at a Mecum auction in Anaheim, was interested in how the vent windows fit in the doors (to the degree that I could see from the outside), from the outside looked exactly like a 40 convertible vent yet I have yet to have anyone say for sure the 40 Mercury ones are the same as a 40 Ford one - maybe someone out there can straighten me out with the facts. Thanks Mike, always appreciate your thoughts. Ted

TomO    -- 10-28-2020 @ 7:43 AM
  The 39 and 40 Mercurys had there own bodies that did not share many parts with Ford.

If you look closely at the 2 cars, you will see that the Mercury windshield slants back more than the Ford, so the vent window assemblies would not interchange. There are many more differences between the 1939-1940 Mercury and the Ford than there are similarities.

The windshield moldings from a Mercury will not directly interchange with a Ford. The windshield on a Mercury is taller and wider than the Ford. The Mercury uses the same windshield glass size on all models and if my memory is correct the Ford convertible windshield is smaller than the sedan windshield.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14276