Topic: 40 Deluxe Instrument Cluster Face Bezel

luckylindy6480    -- 10-15-2020 @ 9:24 AM
  Mike - In the late 50's (I was 14) I saw a metal/chrome Deluxe gauge cluster bezel, at that time I wanted one for my 40 coupe project - was told they only came on 40 Convertibles, looked and looked finally found one someplace, it was junk but I thought it was better than the plastic one. Today as you know you can get them from a number of sources, my good friend and very knowledgeable early Ford guy tells me Ford NEVER (in 1940) put the metal one on any model! Please set the record straight = did the metal Deluxe gauge cluster bezel come from the Ford factory? Thanks, Ted

kubes40    -- 10-15-2020 @ 9:44 AM
  Ted, Your friend is correct. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.
You owe him a beer

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 10-15-2020 @ 11:53 AM
  Somebody a long time ago must have changed mine.
Paul in CT

trjford8    -- 10-16-2020 @ 6:51 AM
  There's a lot of those old chrome covers floating around. Many got changed due to the plastic warping on the originals.

TomO    -- 10-16-2020 @ 7:20 AM
  Back in the 50's you could buy those at Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto and J.C. Whitney and many other auto supply sources. Ford never offered them.

I had one on a Deluxe Coupe in 1949 and on a sunny day, it was murder. The glare blinded me. I went to the Ford dealer and bought the plastic one.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 10-16-2020 @ 7:58 AM
  Tom, that’s a neat bit of personal history. How many of us can say our experience with the V8 Fords stretches back to 1949?

RAK402    -- 10-17-2020 @ 6:52 PM
  After I get my car painted, I am going to be installing another of the reproduction plastic instrument covers.

The previous two warped and melted in the hot, California sun.

I may try reinforcing the new one from the underside to keep it from warping.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

carcrazy    -- 10-17-2020 @ 7:41 PM
  After you park the car, place one of those sun shields inside the windshield and leave each front window down about an inch. This will prevent the plastic from being in the full heat of the sun and prevent the ambient air temperature within the vehicle from getting too hot.

TomO    -- 10-18-2020 @ 8:26 AM
  Check out 3D printing services and see if they will print one that can survive the sun. None of the current reproductions will survive long term.

You could also use the chrome one by sanding it and painting it to match the color of the plastic.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14247