Topic: Tail Light Wire Routing

JayChicago    -- 08-31-2020 @ 5:18 PM
  What is the correct routing of the drivers side tail light wires as they go from the tail light housing down to the connection on the body wire loom? Body wire loom is on the inside of frame rail, so tail light wires must cross over, under, or thru the frame to get there. I saw only two possible ways (pics below) But of course, I could be missing something else.

First pic shows it going thru the only hole in the frame I was able to find. Wires can get thru the hole, but not the loom. Leaves wires exposed to chaffing at the hole. (appears I have 1/2" loom; a smaller diameter loom may get thru that hole)

Second pic shows it crossing under the frame. And there is a nice bracket within the frame rail to accept it there. But this leaves it exposed under the frame. Seems vulnerable to damage there. Is that the way it was done?

This message was edited by JayChicago on 8-31-20 @ 5:20 PM

kubes40    -- 08-31-2020 @ 5:26 PM
  Over the frame is correct.
Also perhaps worth noting is the cross over wiring is on the rearmost crossmember. In '39 it was on the front "lip" of the fuel tank.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 08-31-2020 @ 7:12 PM
  Over the frame squeezed between the frame and gas tank? Very tight on my car, don't think I can get wires in there. I see signs that the tank has been out of the car, maybe should have had more shims?

kubes40    -- 09-01-2020 @ 9:22 AM
  I probably should have been more clear in my earlier response. My apology...

If you look upwards from beneath the car, you'll note a small triangular "opening" at the very corner of the frame rail and rear crossmember. That opening is there due to the tank being formed at an angle in those corners.
Yeah, it's a bit tight but the wire and a bit of the loom will fit.
Make sense?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 09-01-2020 @ 2:16 PM
  Thanks Mike. I see what you are talking about. Tank flange is cut on an angle to clear the angled gusset on the frame. Leaves a small space between tank and frame. (first pic) But this is only on the passenger side.

On drivers side the tank flange is not cut on an angle, it runs over the frame. (second pic) There is no gap between tank and frame on drivers side.

kubes40    -- 09-01-2020 @ 4:15 PM
  Thanks for slapping my memory.
Run that side through the small gap between the rear cross member and the tank flange.
I apologize for the oversight.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 09-01-2020 @ 4:37 PM
  OK. Thanks for your help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14123