Topic: stainless trim

shogun1940    -- 06-16-2010 @ 8:09 PM
  I am trying to restore the trim around the windshield, was there small piece of stainless tha covered the ends when they are installed. Has anyone used the one from drake , if i can not straighten mine??

TomO    -- 06-17-2010 @ 7:27 AM
  The ends are covered by the center strip. I have no experience with the Drake reproduction.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-17-2010 @ 1:39 PM
  Are you referring to the inside "garnish" or the outside bright trim? As TomO has said, the ends of the outside trim are covered by the division bar, in your case 01A-7003078. Interior trim, particularly the small pieces (clips) on the windshield are very hard to find. We have had to make them at times, fix yours if you can. Bob Drake's merchandise is always good quality, but more often than not, is out of stock with an indefinite backorder. Be sure to ask about this when you order.

shogun1940    -- 06-17-2010 @ 6:06 PM
  Iam working on the outside stainless. Which I believe goes on before the window glass goes in.

kubes40    -- 06-19-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  Apparently you are working on a wagon or convertible so there is no center strip.
It does install as you suggest prior to the glass.
There are small pieces that go over the ends of the stainless to trim this out. They are not reproduced. I think Drake included them years ago when he was making the trim for the windshield openings.
I can send you a good photo of what they look like, even a sketch... let me know your email address.
They are not difficult to make.
Hope this helps,
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-19-10 @ 6:42 AM

shogun1940    -- 06-19-2010 @ 5:59 PM
  thanks Mike it is a convertable i bought in 1965, i have been driving it for 10 tears and finaly painted it last fall.
shogun1940@hotmail.com

kubes40    -- 06-20-2010 @ 6:28 AM
  I'll send a photo and sketch a bit later today.
Mike

TomO    -- 06-21-2010 @ 7:07 AM
  Thanks Mike, for straightening me out on the 40 stainless. I was thinking that it was like the Mercury and the 41-48 cars.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-21-2010 @ 10:28 AM
  Putting the bright trim on before installing the glass is new to me, too, Tom. That trim bends easily, and I'd think that the process of getting the gasket in place would make the job very tricky with the trim in place. I'm sure Mike knows, but I guess we all learn something new everyday.

kubes40    -- 06-21-2010 @ 7:15 PM
  The stainless is most definitely set upon the edge that surrounds the window(s) prior to the glass with rubber gasket being put in place.
The rubber surrounding the glass not only provides the weather seal, it holds the stainless in place. The interior bezel holds the glass in.
I agree that it is perhaps an odd way to do this but that is the way it was done. Nothing like a closed car of the same year.

shogun1940    -- 06-23-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  thanks for all the info on the stainless, i finally have one side buffed out, mike i am also cleaning up the window tracks and wheels for the window, i can not believe that the steel wheels ride on steel tracks without any thing to keep them from rubbing.

kubes40    -- 06-27-2010 @ 8:55 AM
  Believe it! If you have any problems, let me know.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=1401