Topic: Clutch Replacement

bo8109b    -- 01-29-2020 @ 9:55 AM
  When installing a replacement clutch assembly in my '40, is there a good way to insure a hassell free mating of the trans input shaft with the clutch disc? In that regard, does it matter which gear the trans is left in prior to removal for this? Carl

kubes40    -- 01-29-2020 @ 11:29 AM
  Carl, It is easiest if the transmission is in neutral. That way, the input shaft can more readily align itself with the disc spline.
If you have a spare input shaft to align the disc upon installation to the flywheel, use it. The plastic clutch disc alignment pegs typically used these days are okay but not nearly as good as an input shaft.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

bo8109b    -- 01-29-2020 @ 1:48 PM
  Thanks Mike; That way I can clock the clutch disc with a shaft spline such as 12 o'clock for assembly. Carl

TomO    -- 01-29-2020 @ 6:40 PM
  You should insert wedges under the release fingers on the pressure plate to release pressure on the disc while tightening the pressure plate bolts. When all of the bolts have been tightened, remove the wedges and then the alignment tool. You do not need to clock the disc, just eyeball the groove alignment of the input shaft to the disc.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 01-30-2020 @ 2:57 PM
  If you don't have the align tool; Tighten the bolts on the clutch disc finger tight, the put the tranny up and insert it in the disc. then tighten the bolts on the disc, and fully insert the trans. you may have to pull the trans. back a little (carefully so as not to move the disc) and tighten the bolts that hold the disc.

I had to do this on my 1950 sedan when I was 18 yrs. old, 65 years ago,because I did not have the tool , or the money to buy one, and that worked !

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 1-30-20 @ 2:59 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 01-30-2020 @ 3:19 PM
  Kubes advice is right on!!

Yes, you should have the clutch "Cover Plate" (commonly called the pressure plate) in the compressed position (by compressing it and putting some kind of wedges, all of the same thickness) between the 3 fingers on it the keep it "loaded" in a parallel position!!

If you don't "wedge" it gets distorted, and you'll feel it when you press the cluch pedal in your foot!! You will feel your foot going up/down a little -meaning the "Clutch Cover is-"DISTORTED!"

Before you put the trans. fully in "Remove them!" by turning the fly wheel, by hand or a pry tool, , and taking them out one at a time. Then , and only then, out the trans. fully in place and bolt it up!! I have done hundreds of "Clutch jobs as a mechanic and on my Classic Cars, so just do it like I say!! 82 year old that was a mechanicin the 60-70 era.!! Question? Private mail me!!

Regards, Steve Lee

therunwaybehind    -- 02-05-2020 @ 9:04 AM
  I was a mechanic in the era 1956-1965 and the alignment tool available was wooden and for the 1940's Fords was painted green. You could make one on a lathe or today even create one with a digital model and 3d printing. Plastic might be too bendable. Is it solid or hollow? 3D printed would be hollow even if you did it in steel.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-12-2020 @ 11:29 AM
  CLUTCH REPLACEMENT
any good auto supply stores,
sells a complete clutch alignment tool kit that will work on 100's of cars,
when installing the transmission, try it first in neutral, if that does not work stick in it gear,
and ROCK or rotate the engine, it should fall into place
this is also a good time to change the oil in the TRANSMISSION,, run a magnet though the drain oil to check it for metal chips,
my 2 cents 37 RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-28-20 @ 6:46 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13565