Topic: LeBarron gone where now?

thunder road    -- 11-10-2019 @ 8:25 AM
  When I went to Le barron Bonney in Amhearst Mass. to drop off my 1940 Ford split bench seat, along with the rear jump seats, and sun visors, and arm rests back in the early eighties to have them re-holpolstered I was given a tour of the factory. It was a large brick building with about four floors. Each floor had about a doz. ladies each one at a heavy duty sewing machine making Ford interiors. After a couple months I returned to pick up the seats, along with the covered door panel's, headliner and the rest of the interior. The job that they did on my interior made my car amazing! Now that they are gone, where do you go to get that craftsmanship, and service ?

Domenic

alanwoodieman    -- 11-11-2019 @ 2:10 PM
  probably nowhere, let's face it the old guard is just that, old and retiring. those ladies/men doing the work are gone and the new generation has been told that it is owed a living for not working. for over 30 years our children were told it is beneath you to work with your hands and that is our fault for letting this happen. we have lost the skills that are need for this country to survive and that is just plane BAD. sorry for my rant.

trjford8    -- 11-12-2019 @ 6:52 AM
  Alan, hopefully this will change. My great nephew went to college for one semester and decided it wasn't for him, even though his grades were good. He's now in a work/ apprenticeship program for heating and air conditioning and loves it. No student loans, making money with the potential to make as much or more that the average college graduate. The school system needs to bring back those shop classes and apprenticeship programs for kids.

JayChicago    -- 11-12-2019 @ 2:46 PM
  Where are the workers we need going to come from? Where I live, nearly all the hands-on trade work is now done by first or second generation immigrants from Poland, Mexico, etc. Life has not been easy for them, they have not been pampered, so they have a strong work ethic like our parents who grew up during the depression. I don't understand why some people feel that immigrants are hurting our county....I don't see our country hurting. And who else is going to do the lower-paid, hands-on work that needs doing? I don't see my kids wanting to do it.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 11-12-19 @ 10:37 PM

pinnsky    -- 11-12-2019 @ 4:21 PM
  Jay, I agree with you completely. We need the immigrants. All of our parents or grandparents were immigrants and the country thrived.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-12-2019 @ 4:48 PM
  immigrants yes but do it the way most of us came here-LEGALLY

thunder road    -- 11-13-2019 @ 4:13 AM
  Dr. Phil said it best," Were raising lambs for the slaughter ."

Domenic

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13378