Topic: Brake Adjusting "Cams."

sarahcecelia    -- 10-04-2019 @ 2:16 PM
  My 40 's cars brake adjusting cams look good. I took the drum off and removed one, and the cam looks good, but no matter, I can get only light drag out of them; and feel that when adjusting the brakes, you should be able to adjust to a fairly heavy drag, before backing off to the desired "light drag" that they should be adjusted to.

The car is 79 years old, so are they worn out?? if so, can new ones be obtained, or if not what needs to be done to remedy the situation??

Does anyone know the maximum diameter that the drums can be machined to so I can measure them? Maybe they've been machined "out of spec.," and I'm thinking that that might be the problem. Are new drums available??

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 10-04-2019 @ 3:52 PM
  I'm guessing the drums are beyond their allowable (safe) specification. Measure each one to be certain. If the drums are within spec and the shoes are as well, there will be no issue adjusting them properly.
12.060" maximum diameter.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 10-04-2019 @ 4:33 PM
  If the brake drums are within specifications and you can't adjust the brakes to provide adequate stopping power, you can have the brake shoes relined with thicker lining material used on big trucks and have them ground down to the proper diameter to just fit inside your drums.

kubes40    -- 10-05-2019 @ 4:48 PM
  Yes you can have thicker material applied to your shoes. That was a common fix many, many years ago.
Of course it is not only illegal but it is very unsafe. There's a reason "over size" brake shoes were outlawed decades ago.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 10-06-2019 @ 9:03 AM

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 10-6-19 @ 9:04 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 10-06-2019 @ 11:17 AM
  did you adjust the lower adjustments to fit the shoes to the drums? even with worn out shoes and oversize drums you should be able to lock up the drums with cam adjusters. are you sure you are doing this adjustments correctly?

sarahcecelia    -- 10-07-2019 @ 8:54 AM
  Yup, unlock the lock nut by backing it off c.c.w., then move the small rectangular adjustment c.c.w. on the forward one and c.w on the rearward one and the shoes wouldn't lock the drums!I couldn't even get a heavy drag; only a light drag.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13283