Topic: Radiator Hose

sarahcecelia    -- 09-09-2019 @ 5:15 AM
  With 58 yrs. of working on cars I have never had this problem.

The R/ lower hose leaks at its juncture with the lower radiator neck. It's on all the way, and the clamp is on about 1/4" from it's end. The clamp is so tight it will strip the threads if I tighten it more. The neck of the radiator is clean and not dented, and the hose is clean inside w/no abrasions. The clamp is on properly, and so tight that I'm afraid that I'll strip the threads if I tighten it any more. It is leaking very little, but it's leaking!

Question: There are (2) raised ridges on the radiator neck. what purpose do they serve? Is the clamp supposed to be right over them?

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 09-09-2019 @ 6:10 AM
  The clamp should be behind the raised surface of the neck.
I use Indian Head Sh*llac on all hose connections. An old timer's "trick" that actually works.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 09-09-2019 @ 2:09 PM
  I use Permatex #2 non hardening sealer on the hose connections which also seems to work well.

sarahcecelia    -- 09-09-2019 @ 3:14 PM
  Mike, by "behind" do you mean toward the radiator ? I have it on the radiator side just a little away from those ridges.

Are those ridges to keep the hose from "popping off" at some point in time, because the necks, unlike the cast iron water pumps, are so smooth??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-9-19 @ 3:24 PM

kubes40    -- 09-09-2019 @ 5:41 PM
  It seems as though you have the clamps placed as I had suggested.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 09-10-2019 @ 4:57 AM
  My (2) 50's don't have those "ridges" as far as I remember, their new to me.

Once again, "Thank you Mike!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 09-10-2019 @ 8:16 AM
  Well I went out today after (3) days, and looked at the (2)sheets of paper towel that I folded and inserted under the clamped area of the (2) lower radiator hoses; they were both damp! Apparently they are just "seeping." Well I took both hoses off for the 3rd? time. I put Permatex #2 ,non hardening, inside the lower ends of both hoses, and then put it all back together. Again, I folded 2 sheets of paper towel, lengthwise, about 1 " wide and inserted them under the clamped area, I'll wait about 3 days, because it takes that long to show up, to see if the are wet. By the way, I've installed hundreds of radiator hoses on cars, and it was a "Piece of Cake," and NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM!!(And I never heard of having to use something, other then just good clamps, to keep them from seeping!!) I think part of the problem is those lousy stock clamps!! I prefer the spiral SS clamps, I've never had this problem with them. I only used stock ones because I want to keep my car original.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-10-19 @ 11:28 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 09-17-2019 @ 6:59 AM
  Yahoo!!

Finally that dang lower hose is not leaking!! Ran the car to operating temp, and the needle was just A VERY LITTLE PAST NORMAL!! Book says they should run at the NORMAL MARK, so I'm good with that!!

That radiator (with a new core) installation was one of the toughest jobs ever, but she's running good, and cool too ! Feeling the radiator on the fins, top and bottom, it's not hot, just warm!!!I'm extremely happy with the results!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13212