Topic: 40 bumpers are ribbed

thunder road    -- 08-07-2019 @ 5:58 AM
  Original 1940 Ford bumpers for passenger car's have two raised ribs cast into them on the inside of the bumper. The front and rear's are different in that their is a slightly different arc, or curve between the front and rear bumper. I do not believe that the repo's have the ribs .

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 8-7-19 @ 5:59 AM

kubes40    -- 08-07-2019 @ 6:47 AM
  I am not certain whether or not your post was supposed to be a question.

Just in case it was:
The front and rear bumper bars are identical.
Factory install bars had to raised "ribs" UPON them.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 08-07-2019 @ 8:57 AM
  Mike , thanks for responding back. I was told a while back by a pretty good source , and Ford judge, that their was a slight difference or" arc" in the front and the rear bumpers. Thanks for putting that one to rest.

Domenic

kubes40    -- 08-07-2019 @ 9:33 AM
  Yikes! You were told that by a judge?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 08-07-2019 @ 10:13 AM
  Mike the answer is "yes"

Domenic

ford38v8    -- 08-10-2019 @ 2:27 PM
  Dominic, with respect to your hearing from a Judge that the arc is different on the rear bumper, both he and Mike are correct, Mike being correct about the identical front & rear bumpers on the 1940 Passenger car, and the Judge being correct on some others, for instance, the 1937 Passenger rear bumper does have a tighter radius at the outer ends, to follow the bobbed rear fender lines of the '37. 1938 Passenger bumpers on the other hand, are identical to each other front to back, and are the identical bumpers as provided the 1937 front, but for the mounting position being upside down to the 1937.

The above paragraph is as simply stated as I can make it, but please know that exceptions abound between certain models of certain years, and importantly, among replacement parts as listed in the Green Bible. Given that attempts at further explanations would likely confuse further (as indeed the Green Bible itself could benefit from an editing of fact), this thread could conceivably go on and on for quite a while without final resolution to all questions.

Alan

trjford8    -- 08-11-2019 @ 1:50 PM
  thunder road, you are correct that the repo bumpers do not have the ribs or any other markings on them. With that being said there are some original Ford replacement bumpers that also do not have the ribs. Those bumpers in my experience have letters stamped on the back side of the bumper. They are spring steel like the ribbed bumpers. I've had a couple of those bumpers over the years. Generally you find the letter "U" stamped on the bumper.

kubes40    -- 08-11-2019 @ 2:50 PM
  As the original post was in regard to 1940 and 1940 exclusively I will attempt to once again clarify the response to your question about 1940 Ford passenger car bumper bars... ALL factory installed bumper bars had two ribs on the back. Both front and rear bars are identical.
There were NO exceptions to this.
Now if you want to know about other years, well, I suppose there may be differences. And, if you are asking about replacement parts, then there too may be differences.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Chris.NZ    -- 08-22-2019 @ 12:12 PM
  38 standard rear bumpers are different from the 38 standard front ones in that the section between the over-riders is flatter on the rear bumper. However the front bumper will fit on the rear. Make sense ?

JayChicago    -- 08-23-2019 @ 8:34 AM
  Is there any point deduction in judging for the reproduction, non-ribbed bumpers?

ford38v8    -- 08-23-2019 @ 9:09 AM
  That's a loaded question if there ever was one!

Alan

kubes40    -- 08-23-2019 @ 3:40 PM
  A loaded question? I must be missing something...

There's SUPPOSED to be a point deduction for ANYTHING that is not correct.
So, in the case of non-ribbed bumpers, then yes, there SHOULD be a deduction.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-23-19 @ 3:41 PM

ford38v8    -- 08-23-2019 @ 4:55 PM
  Mike, apparently you're not award of the history of that question on the EFV8 Concourse.

Alan

kubes40    -- 08-23-2019 @ 5:52 PM
  I guess not. I figure that authentic bumpers are readily available and plating is easy enough to get accomplished.
Please, if you wouldn't mind - fill me in here...what am I missing?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 08-23-2019 @ 9:09 PM
  private message

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13127