Topic: 1940 Splash Pans

sarahcecelia    -- 07-28-2019 @ 3:23 PM
  My 1940 car has (2) splash pans under the radiator area, which I removed for painting.

When I removed the smaller rearward piece with the triangular ends, it was mounted UNDER the rear edge of the larger piece under the radiator.. Was that assembled correctly, or does that smaller piece with the triangular ends, get mounted ON TOP of the rear edge the larger pan under the radiator??

When I reassemble them I want them to be factory correct.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-28-2019 @ 4:02 PM
  Steve, I want to be clear as to what you are referring to.
The triangular piece... surely you have a parts book. Could you allow the part number?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-29-2019 @ 4:14 PM
  Mike, I don't have a '40 parts book. The larger pan is under the radiator with the hole in it, for petcock to drain the radiator. The smaller piece attaches to the rear of it (under the crank pully) with 3 bolts and nuts. That's the complete assembly. That's all I can tell you.
Read my latest post! It fastens to the FRONT OF IT!!!!
Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-1-19 @ 3:27 AM

kubes40    -- 07-29-2019 @ 7:05 PM
  These?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 07-30-2019 @ 4:46 AM
  Mike: I believe 91A-8240-B is the pan under the radiator with the drain hole and a small pan to the rear of it under the crank pulley?? Steve: Reproductions of the 38-41 parts books are available and posting a photo is possible. A picture is worth a thousand words.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 7-30-19 @ 4:49 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 5:06 AM
  Mike my 1940 Ford Convertible splash pans under the radiator look nothing like those! (The ones that I'm talking about are the (2) parallel to the floor, if that helps any.) The larger one mounts on the frame with 2 bolts that also go through it's flanges on either side, and the flanges on the radiator near its bottom, and secure the radiator to the frame members. Then (2) little straps, (1) on each side , hold the top of the radiator in place. This must be all Ford, because this car won 1st place Antique Cars of America, and a Dearborn award!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-30-2019 @ 7:47 AM
  Steve,
Are these what you are speaking of?
What you describe does not sound correct.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 07-30-2019 @ 7:49 AM
  This?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 1:50 PM
  Quote::"surely you must have a parts book" Why do you say that? I wish I did, but I didn't know they were even available; are they? and if so where can I get one???

.By the way; I made a mistake, and I apologize!! That smaller splash pan (with the triangular ends) goes at the FRONT of the larger one! It has (6) bolt holes that mount it to the bottom of the grill sh*ll, and (3) for the bolts to fasten it under the front of the larger pan and (2-one on each side,) that are to mount it on the frame where the radiator mounts.

I installed it all today, and then I found out my mistake. That's what happens when you take something all apart and try to re-assemble it (2) or (3)weeks later!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 1:53 PM
  Mike "Kubes," where can a get the 1940 car parts book you say is available in reprint??

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 1:55 PM
  No, Those are the grill sh*ll side panels that you are asking "Are they these?"

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 1:58 PM
  Can't see the upper one to well , but the lower one is the large splash pan under the radiator on my car. Yup, and the drain hole goes on the driver's side !!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 2:00 PM
  That's the larger pan under the radiator!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-30-2019 @ 2:03 PM
  Those are the grill sh*ll side panels, under the hood.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-01-2019 @ 3:28 AM
  YES!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13102