Topic: Horn Trumpet Rubber Grometts

sarahcecelia    -- 07-18-2019 @ 2:17 PM
  Mike "Kubes"Kubarth,

I got the new grommets for my 1940 horns today.

They are each a complete circle (uncut), and I see no way that those trumpets can be removed to install them that way. Is there a way to remove the trumpets from the corresponding electrical part of them?

If not, "Don't they each have to be cut in one spot to install them on the trumpets?" If that's true, where is the best spot to make that single cut on each one to install them on the trumpets. I would think that would be somewhere not near the the openings in the bracket the holds them.(Like in the back of the "u" shaped opening.")

Your advice??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-18-19 @ 2:19 PM

kubes40    -- 07-19-2019 @ 10:09 AM
  I split the grommet and after applying a lot of window cleaner, slip them in place.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-20-2019 @ 7:56 AM
  "Kubes,"

Do you install the grommets with the trumpets in the brackets, or put them on the trumpets and then slide them into the brackets?? And, "Where is the best position to put the cut in the grommets when you install them in the bracket??" (180 degrees from the opening in the bracket, or where??)

I would think with the trumpets in the brackets; but what say you "KUBES?

This is really tricky, and thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it!!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-21-2019 @ 6:21 AM
  I cut the grommet at one of the slits. The trumpets are in place as you suspected.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-22-2019 @ 3:45 AM
  Mike, You said, I cut the grommets at on of the "slits." Could you please be a little more specific about that statement?

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-22-2019 @ 6:05 AM
  Note the two small slots within each grommet meant to go over the crimp(s) of the trumpet? Cut through one of those. That way, the slit will end up on either side of the lower crimp of the trumpet - not noticeable.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13077