Topic: 1940 convertible Emergency Brake Cable

sarahcecelia    -- 06-28-2019 @ 12:29 PM
  I installed a new cable from the hand brake handle in the cab to the cable under the car that goes to the two wheels. Adjusting it I found that the adjustment in the cab, and of it under the car were extreme to get the hand brakes to hold; so extreme that I also had to connect a cable and clamps behind that adjustment (under the car) to hold the cables together taught enough, to get the hand brake to hold the car. I t seems that either the cable under the car to the two wheels is stretched, or it is the wrong cable. Mac's shows two in their catalog; one for 39-40, and one for 41-48. the latter is 14 and 3/4" shorter. Could my '40 convertible be a late '40, and thereby get the '41-48 cable? ., or did it stretch a few inches?? I pulled the rear wheels, and adjusted the (good shoes) brakes, after installing the new cab cable, before adjusting either emergency cable, and all is good at that end, and the cables are routed through their brackets on the stabilizers properly. It just seems that the cable between the rear wheels has stretched? Is that a possibility, or is it the wrong cable?? It was on the car when I purchased it.

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 06-28-2019 @ 3:54 PM
  Steve, You just may have answered the burning question:
Are Macs parts all perfect and as original...
Or are our Fords just Rat Rods if we use Macs parts?

Alan

kubes40    -- 06-28-2019 @ 4:21 PM
  Steve, the '40 cable is just that, the 40 cable. A '41 or later will not work.
The rear cable has a tendency to stretch after a few pulls. Also, most every repop rear cable I've seen has springs that are way to long. Those that are must be shortened to the proper length.
I trust you realize that the front cable can be adjusted at both ends. I install the cable, then pull up the handle two 'clicks". Then, and only then do I adjust it. I make it taut.
Once I release the two preload "clicks" it seems to be about right each time.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 06-29-2019 @ 3:59 AM
  Mike,

You're talking about springs on the cable to the shoes right? How much do you shorten the springs??

And yes, I adjust those cables at tw0 clicks; at that point they should just start to show a drag on the rear wheels, and I know there are adjustments on both ends of the "cab" cable.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 6-29-19 @ 4:04 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13018