Topic: 1940 outer door handle

sarahcecelia    -- 06-08-2019 @ 4:10 AM
  Does that handle come off by removing the screw in the rear edge of the door jamb, and the screw with the adjustment nut on it at the rear edge of the inner panel? I removed them both, and it wouldn't budge. If not, please give me the steps to take it off; it rubs on it's rear area on the escutcheon fitted under it on the outer door panel, and I want to see if the shaft is bent a little, or if I need to file the rear edge of the back side of the handle to fix it. It will only need a few thousands filed to fix it.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 06-08-2019 @ 5:41 AM
  Steve,
Closed car handles are held in place with one screw that goes through the rearward edge of the door . Nothing else holds it in. Adjustment nut? Never heard of that.

Open car handles have both the aforementioned screw as well as a reverse thread special hex nut holding the handle in place.
If your handle is rubbing, it (handle assembly) is worn out.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 6-8-19 @ 2:01 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 06-08-2019 @ 11:31 AM
  Mike, the screw on my '40 CONVERTIBLE (open car) is at an 45 degree angle on the REAR edge of the door, not the FORWARD edge,( inline with the outer handle and shaft),and seems to have something to do with the outside handle or it's shaft. It can only gotten to by opening the door, (it is in the same area as the striker on the body) and the L/ hand threaded nut and screw is in close proximity to that 45 degree screw in the jamb. That screw and /threaded nut is on the inner door panel at the very REAR edge of that panel, and in close proximity to the one in the door jamb. That thin L/threaded "Thin nut" seems to make the shaft of the outer door handle looser or tighter. The outside door handle has maybe 13 thousands clearance to the outer door panel at the front, and about 1 thousandth at the rear, so if you pull the door handle down and let it up slowly, it doesn't go back up quite all the way, but if you open the door and let go when it is in the down position, it snaps up all the way!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 06-08-2019 @ 11:43 AM
  Mike "Kubes,"
So, if I take that screw in the door jamb out, on my 1940 Convertible (open car), and remove the L/threaded Thin nut and it's screw, the outside door handle will come off. Right? I think that handle must be a Chinese replacement, so if I take it off and file the back inner edge a few thousandths, that will cure it!! A drop of "3 in 1" oil worked fine, but you know how long that lasts!
Thanks for you help once again Mike!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12969