Topic: cardboard headliner for 1040 pickup

skyoung    -- 02-22-2019 @ 8:23 AM
  installed cardboard headliner yesterday, seems to sag in the middle, have seen cabs with a tab in the middle where a screw can be inserted but my cab did not have one of those tabs. so I am asking if I am crazy or do I just let the headliner sag and enjoy the truck. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Call me directly if you want 425 785 8225. the truck is getting close to being finished,

kubes40    -- 02-22-2019 @ 2:14 PM
  Trucks that originally had a cardboard panel, did in fact have a small bracket in the very center of the roof for exactly the purpose you'd figured.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 02-22-2019 @ 5:34 PM
  I guess I need to find out if there is a cube available so I can install it, I just do not like having the droopy headliner as well I know there is a space between the headliner and the metal roof itself, otherwise I would just use Velcro.

Thank you for your reply Kube

kubes40    -- 02-23-2019 @ 5:43 AM
  If your truck is already painted, then obviously welding a bracket in place is out of the question.
JB Weld?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 02-23-2019 @ 8:59 AM
  ok Kube, I agree with the JB weld but now to get or make the bracket, having no knowledge of size and depth? there must be someone out there in V8 land that can provide me with the dimensions, as far as attachment I have that covered . Where are you located? I live just east of Seattle

kubes40    -- 02-23-2019 @ 10:12 AM
  You won't need anything elaborate. It seems to me the depth was 1 1/4". I would suggest you find the true center of the headliner. Then, make a small hole at that center. Push a small nail through that hole and do two things. One, scratch the roof so you know approximately where your bracket needs to be placed and two, measure the depth from the cardboard to the roof. Of course, that measurement will be what you need to make your bracket.
I'd suggest you use a piece of thin wall aluminum to keep it (bracket) as light as possible. Rough up the side you intend to glue to the roof. Clear ALL paint away from the roof, bare metal is best for the JB Weld to adhere to.
"Weld" the bracket to the roof, holding it in place firmly with duct tape.
Install the liner and carefully drill and tap a #10-32 hole in the bracket. Use a 10-32 oval head (slotted) finishing screw and finishing washer to hold the liner in place.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 02-23-2019 @ 10:34 AM
  Sounds great, I am going to be on it today, I like the idea of putting the hole in the headliner and measuring the depth then making the bracket. I could actually just not put anything there and let it sag a little but it would drive me nuts especially since I have put so much into the restoration and am getting close to being finished. the only thing I have to do after the inside of the cab is installing the doors and running boards, everything else is finished. totally
stock restoration

carcrazy    -- 02-23-2019 @ 12:41 PM
  You could instead use a 1" x 1" block of wood which has been cut to the proper length. You would glue this piece to the inside of the roof. This piece would allow for one square inch of bonding area to the roof for a more secure joint.

kubes40    -- 02-24-2019 @ 5:58 AM
  Skyoung, I'd like it if you could share some photos of your restoration.
Thanks!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 10:49 AM
  Mike, thank you for the picture, it helped a lot. Another question for you regarding the hood hinge with the spring. The bottom hole that fastens to the cowl, Drake does not have a shoulder bolt that goes into this hole, do you know who has them or where I can get them?

I will send a picture of the truck soon, Doors and running boards are next, almost finished. The picture you sent, is it your truck? mine is also the same color, Cloud mist grey.

my one remorse is that I bought Koker radials, way too skinny and way too many weights.

kubes40    -- 02-25-2019 @ 11:02 AM

I had installed 6:50 x 16" bias tires as an original option.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 2-25-19 @ 1:59 PM

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 11:46 AM
  don't those bolts have a square shoulder? both holes for this application are round. The holes on the hood bracket nearest where the spring hooks on

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 12:14 PM
  here is the truck in it's current state of assembly

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 12:16 PM
  I sent the previous picture of the hole in the cowl, this one is the truck

kubes40    -- 02-25-2019 @ 2:01 PM
  Skyoung, My previous post in regard to the bolts was incorrect (obviously) and I have since deleted it. I was thinking the small "L" brackets at the front fender. I don't know why I was thinking that but I was.

Anyway, I can look for a pair of the shoulder bolts if you like. Let me know.

Your truck looks nice. It appears as if you pan on driving it - yes?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 2:19 PM
  Mike, would you please give me your phone # I would like to talk privately

mine is 425 785 8225

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 2:29 PM
  Yes, we plan on driving it to local shows, I bought this truck in central California four years ago, it was pretty clean from the beginning, no rust so I got a real cream puff to start with. I have been doing tractors for the past fifteen years, Porsche and Lamborghini.

The bolts I have show hood arm bolt set and they are not correct, they will not fit into the hood support arms so I guess I need the hood arm shoulder bolt? Do you have a spare set you would part with?

kubes40    -- 02-25-2019 @ 2:33 PM
  Now that tractor is COOL! You seem to have a sickness that I share.

I'd restored a 1957 Massey Harris Pacer a few years ago. It had been in my wife's family since new. Less than 5000 of them were built over a five year span. I did one of my car restorations on it. Flawless and one that can no longer be used

Even the original tires were on it - Massey Harris molded right in 'em. They were not cut or otherwise damaged. I sand blasted them. Yes, sand blasted them. That took all of the oxidation away and makes them appear as new.

I feel for ya having this sickness.

I'll go look for the bolts now and let ya know what I find (or not).

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 2:34 PM
  these are the shoulder bolts that will not fit , they fit the cowl but not the arm.

your thoughts

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 2:50 PM
  I am thinking that I just might drill the hood arm to fit the hood arm shoulder bolt , I think that is the best thing for me to do

skyoung    -- 02-25-2019 @ 3:02 PM
  mystery solved, I have an older arm that was sitting around and Drake is sending arms with the wrong hole drilled, I will just drill it out and be done with it, thank you for offering a should bolt set

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12697