Topic: under-the-hood picture

Barney    -- 01-05-2019 @ 7:13 AM
  Happy New Year, I'm a Newbie member, so please forgive me if I am asking for something recently discussed or shown. I purchased a 1940 Standard Fordor as a 'basket case'. I am in the process of assembling items under the hood. Of course, it's obvious where some components are mounted (battery, generator). I realize I can mount items as the starter solenoid, coil, etc. most any place convenient, but I'd like to have it look original when 'popping the hood'. Does anyone have a couple pictures they could share. Or is there an assembly book (hopefully with diagrams) available that could prove helpful? Thank you to the max. Regards, Barney

TomO    -- 01-05-2019 @ 8:03 AM
  I have other photos, but could not find them today. These show most of the stuff.

The solenoid is mounted on the firewall, there are 2 bolt holes for it.

Tom

TomO    -- 01-05-2019 @ 8:05 AM
  here is another

The coil is mounted on top of the distributor.

Search the vendors for 1932-1953 Ford parts for a 1940 or 1941 Chassis parts catalog. It will provide a reference until the 1940 Book is published.

Ask questions here and post some photos so the best answer can be provided. You can only post 1 photo per reply on this Forum, so if you have multiple photos, you must reply to the post for each photo.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-5-19 @ 8:16 AM

kubes40    -- 01-05-2019 @ 11:32 AM
  Hope this helps...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 01-05-2019 @ 11:32 AM
  And this...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 01-05-2019 @ 11:33 AM
  And this...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40    -- 01-05-2019 @ 11:34 AM
  And this...
If you need anything specific, let me know.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Barney    -- 01-05-2019 @ 5:25 PM
  Hi Tom, Thank you so very much for sharing your pictures. They're worth their weight in gold. Come to think of it; I guess digital pictures don't weigh much. Anyway, thank you very much; they're worth a ton to me. Barney

Barney    -- 01-05-2019 @ 5:40 PM
  Hi again, Tom, My distributor is the 'clam' type. I believe this distributor is stock in later models. I believe I have the mounting bracket for the coil, but the only place it seems to fit is mounting it to the left, front corner of the intake manifold. When the coil that came with the car (no guarantee it's correct) is mounted to the bracket, it contacts the left radiator hose. I don't think heat is a coil's best friend. Regards, Barney

Barney    -- 01-05-2019 @ 5:44 PM
  Hello Mike,
Wow, thank you very much for the four great pictures. Your pictures and Tom's will prove to drastically reduce my assembly time. Thank you so much for your time and effort.
Regards, Barney

TomO    -- 01-06-2019 @ 10:11 AM
  Barney,

Google 1947 Ford engine photos for pictures of the coil mounting with the pancake distributor. I don't have any on my computer.

Post a photo of your coil mounting and we can give you some advice on mounting and connecting it. There are some options that should be taken into consideration when dealing with a non stock 1940 set up.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12595