Topic: Headliner

bo8109b    -- 10-31-2018 @ 8:40 AM
  Installing a new headliner in a '40 Ford sedan, how does one shrink the small wrinkles out to get a taut installation?

1940 Tom    -- 10-31-2018 @ 12:08 PM
  Good Afternoon--

I have never tried it myself, or seen it actually done, but I've heard that a clothes steamer works. It should be used VERY lightly/ sparingly so the steam doesn't stain the headliner fabric. Check with the company that you purchased the headliner from - what do they recommend to remove the wrinkles?

Guys - help me out here - will a clothes steamer work, or are there better methods to use?

I wouldn't use the steamer until you get some definite feedback from the other members, saying that it is OK to use.

Good Luck.

Tom

kubes40    -- 10-31-2018 @ 3:49 PM
  Tom has offered the exact advice I would. I've installed numerous headliners and although I get them rather taut without steaming, well, the steam really pulls them nicely.
I use an industrial steamer. I always clean it out prior to using on a fresh headliner and always use distilled water.
If you can't access an industrial steamer, I'm willing to bet a "cheapy" would do the trick albeit a tad slower.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 10-31-2018 @ 7:59 PM
  Mike gives the right advice regarding the use of distilled water in the steamer. I use a steamer called a Compact Fabric Steamer sold by Walmart. It's about $30 +. It works great.

1940 Tom    -- 11-01-2018 @ 10:37 AM
  Geez - if our highly-qualified 40 Ford Tech Advisor, along with an tech expert like Tom Johnston agree with my suggestions, I sure must have nailed this one correctly!
Thank you, gentlemen, for your responses and have a nice weekend.

Tom

kenburke    -- 11-10-2018 @ 9:36 AM
  Not exactly a headliner item, but. I have Tudor. I have a LBB headliner to install. Question; What is the recommended method to run the interior pillar light wire from the passenger side to the driver's side?

trjford8    -- 11-10-2018 @ 4:57 PM
  I've never put a headliner in a tudor, but I suspect you would tape a wire to the metal bow that is closest to the pillar light location. Leave plenty of wire on each end after it passes through the bow sleeve to attach to the switch and to the other pillar light.

cliftford    -- 11-10-2018 @ 5:51 PM
  I have done this before and one of the keys to success is how pliable the window seal is.

kubes40    -- 11-11-2018 @ 5:35 AM
  Ken, I tape the wire to the roof insulation. I don't want to take a chance at it falling and possibly pressing lightly / showing on the headliner.
I use a high quality duct tape.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Arc99    -- 11-26-2018 @ 5:49 AM
  Never tried installing one before. It looks complicated.

trjford8    -- 11-27-2018 @ 6:46 AM
  If the original headliner is still in the car you will have an idea how it's installed when you remove it. Take it out slowly by taking the front and rear loose first. Also your new headliner should come with instructions. Also check You Tube as there may be a video there to assist you in the installation. Come here to ask as many questions as you like and we'll try to guide you along the way.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12447