Topic: Fog Lights:

fortyford    -- 10-07-2018 @ 7:43 AM
  Is there any directions out there on wiring up fog lights on 40?My 40 has old unity fog lights and both work running wire from battery.I have no switch and all the wiring is gone.Would like to wire them safely back up for use.I noticed some old switches on ebay and are expensive.Not sure if I would care if setup looks 40 dated or not?

TomO    -- 10-07-2018 @ 8:08 AM
  Here is the information you need.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=4422&keywords=fog%20lights

Tom

fortyford    -- 10-07-2018 @ 8:55 AM
  Can I just use say a typical switch from the auto parts store to supply power to fog lights?Would the 6 volt system stand burning fog lights and headlights also?Would I need some type of relay or just a fuse on the switch or wiring?I was going to get my power from the ignition switch?I don't care if they are tied into the tail lights and all that.

This message was edited by fortyford on 10-7-18 @ 9:08 AM

kubes40    -- 10-07-2018 @ 9:03 AM
  If you don't care how they are wired, then by all means, get an on / off type switch. I would without question, include an in-line fuse.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fortyford    -- 10-07-2018 @ 9:10 AM
  Would this switch work?I see it has three terminals.Is that one power source,a ground,and the other for lights?
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-fog-lamp-switch-s215/20975734-P?searchTerm=fog+light+switch

kubes40    -- 10-07-2018 @ 9:17 AM
  Perfect

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fortyford    -- 10-07-2018 @ 9:23 AM
  Sorry for questions,but do I have to run a wire from each fog light to switch or can I do something easier here?

kubes40    -- 10-07-2018 @ 9:41 AM
  Originally the two lamp (leads) were connected just behind the fender and one wire was routed from there to the dash panel.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fortyford    -- 10-07-2018 @ 10:21 AM
  Is there something electrical i can get at auto shop to tie both lights into behind grill and then just run one wire to switch?

kubes40    -- 10-07-2018 @ 11:34 AM
  You can get that type of connector but simply enough, just twist the two together and (I prefer solder) attach to the wire leading to the switch.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 10-7-18 @ 1:10 PM

fortyford    -- 10-07-2018 @ 12:58 PM
  OK,Thanks Kube and Tom for all the help.

This message was edited by fortyford on 10-7-18 @ 1:00 PM

TomO    -- 10-08-2018 @ 6:58 AM
  The fog lamps are not adjustable up and down, so make sure that you have them aimed to the right side of the car. You don't want them to blind the oncoming drivers.

You asked if the 6 volt system would stand burning fog lights and head lights at the same time, the answer is a qualified yes. The qualifications are the condition of the battery, the charging system and driving conditions. If either the battery or the charging system are marginal, you could run down the battery with both sets of lights on. Pay attention to you battery gauge and watch for a discharge condition while driving. Short trips or stop and go traffic conditions could also lead to a discharged battery.

If you are not going to use the Ford bullet connectors or solder the wires, I would use a small wire nut (available at the hardware store) to hold the wires together. To use it, you just twist the wires together and then screw on the wire nut. Then I would use electrical tape to keep the weather out of the connection. I would use 14ga wire from the connection to the switch.

You can use the switch that you provided a link to. If you look carefully at the back of the switch, you will see that 2 of the connectors are connected. The left connector is for power in to the switch and the 2 right connectors are the switced connectors. The grounding is done from the bulb socket to the fog lamp and through the clamp to the bumper bracket.

Tom

trjford8    -- 10-08-2018 @ 10:43 AM
  Rather than use them for fog lights I have used them for turn signals. Those coming in the opposite direction can't miss them.

sarahcecelia    -- 10-10-2018 @ 6:56 AM
  All you really need is a hot wire (negative)"jumpered" from one light to the other and a ground wire (positive) "jumpered" from one light to the other. Install a little toggle switch on the lower edge of the instrument panel. with a hot wire on the "in" pole and the other (out)pole going to the lights, and that's it! Easy?? Yes!!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 10-15-18 @ 11:46 AM

trjford8    -- 10-10-2018 @ 9:26 AM
  I would also install an in-line fuse.

sarahcecelia    -- 10-15-2018 @ 11:48 AM
  Yes, good idea; I thought it was superfluos to mention that.

Regards, Steve Lee

39 Ken    -- 10-16-2018 @ 4:49 AM
  Most, if not all the fog lite switches I have seen have a built in fuse
holder. Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12388