Topic: 5/16 O.D. STEEL TUBING

sarahcecelia    -- 09-07-2018 @ 10:31 AM
  Where can I buy the steel tubing to make the two lines for the vacuum to operate my 1940convertible top?
They have to be long enough to go from the kick panel ,across the floor to the tunnel, and then along the tunnel to under the rear seat.That's about 72" each, plus (4) about 24" long under the rear seat.

I could buy copper, 3/8" O.D., or 1/4" O.D.Copper 1/4" O.D. is a better size to run, but will I get enough vacuum to operate the top??

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2018 @ 12:42 PM
  Steve, you keep posting new threads on the same questions, and then apologizing for doing so. Kube answered this question yesterday afternoon on your other thread. Now apologize again and don 't be a bad boy anymore.

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 09-07-2018 @ 2:22 PM
  Your being the "Bad Boy" Alan. I asked "Kubes" about the steel lines and he said that he got them, NOS at Hershey a zillion years ago, and as far as he knew they were the only ones in existance. Now I'm asking where I can get that size steel line in those long lengths. Or adversely, would 1/4" inch or 3/8" copper work.

This is supposed to be a venue to help the members when they need help, not to put them down.

I'm going to ask questions until I get all of the answers I need to do the job.

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2018 @ 2:31 PM
  Your answer is on the next page of that post.

Alan

sarahcecelia    -- 09-07-2018 @ 2:49 PM
  Alan,

Don't start fights on the forum. It's very CHILDISH. "Kubes" warned me about that, and I learned to be more careful of what I said, and not to criticise others on ths forum.

This forum is to "HELP" one another, not to 'CRITICISE" one another.

Everybody on this forum makes numorous spelling errors,verbage errors and prose errors, just to name a few. But we must restrain our selves and overlook thier errors, because we are all human; "And it is human to err!"

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 09-07-2018 @ 3:02 PM
  Your wrong Alan. !! He said brakeline would work, but auto supply stores don't have it in 74" lengths. About 2' is the max that they have, but maybe you can tell me where I can obtain it??

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 09-07-2018 @ 3:03 PM
  Steve, carefully read this, please: Your previously asked question was fully answered on page 2 of that post yesterday afternoon. There is no fight here but that which is perceived due to your misunderstanding. Please return to that post and find the answer by Kube instructing where to buy the steel tubing. I will not communicate further on this subject, nor should you unless you feel that an apology is in order.

Alan

shogun1940    -- 09-07-2018 @ 6:07 PM
  Most parts stores sell 5ft can’t kink line. But if you go to a speed shop you can buy coils of tubing in 25’ rolls

sarahcecelia    -- 09-08-2018 @ 5:35 AM
  I have looked through all of the posts from the start and only see one very recent one about where to buy that steel line in the length I will need, that being a reply on 9/7/2018 by shogun at 6:07 PM regarding a Speed shop supply. Did I miss something??

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-9-18 @ 7:06 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 09-08-2018 @ 5:48 AM
  Alan,
I don't see or can't find that post by Kubes (where he tells me where to buy the steel line) that you are talking about. Can you give me a date and time of that post???

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 9-8-18 @ 3:18 PM

42merc    -- 09-08-2018 @ 5:49 AM
  25 foot coils of small diameter -(3/16-1/4-5/16-3/8) steel brake line, gas line, tubing are available at most auto parts stores, NAPA-Autozone, ect.

This message was edited by 42merc on 9-8-18 @ 5:50 AM

ford38v8    -- 09-08-2018 @ 8:26 AM
  Steve, You have three threads going on this same question. In the future, DO NOT create multiple threads on the same question. FIND the thread you created and post to that thread only.

Go to Forum on the main home page.
Click on New 1940 Ford Book.
On that page, you will see the 3 different threads you've created, all on this subject. You will also see that each of these 3 threads has multiple pages, (at this time, 2 each). I believe that part of the confusion is that you may not have realized or seen the 2nd pages of those threads. You have had good source answers from 42merc, kubes40, TomO, and Shogun1940 on two of those threads. The particular post from Kube that you now question was made on 9-6-2016 @ 3:12 PM. to one of those 3 threads.

I strongly suggest that if the above information is still unclear to you, bring in a friend to help you with the computer. We're none of us getting any younger, and these newfangled things confuse most of us!

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-8-18 @ 8:28 AM

TomO    -- 09-08-2018 @ 8:41 AM
  Steve, I have to agree with Alan. It appears that you do not read the answers to your posts and then ask the question again in a new post.

Please read all of the answers to your questions and if you do not understand them, ask for clarification of the points that you do not understand.

We are willing to help you with your questions, but you have to pay attention to the answers. If you continue to ignore answers, people will stop providing them.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 09-08-2018 @ 8:49 AM
  5 foot pieces won't do. I'd have to coonnect a few with rubber hose.(More connections, more places to leak)

But thanks for the tip about speed shops! I'll look in my speed shop catalogs.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 09-09-2018 @ 5:30 AM
  Steve,
Your question(s) was / were answered by me quite promptly on a separate but SIMILAR thread. Is it possible you are not accessing page #2 on the more lengthy threads?

I do tend to agree with others in that it gets a bit confusing and actually quite cumbersome when more than one SIMILAR thread is started.
There are a number of guys on this forum that know their stuff and are willing to share that knowledge with others willing to learn.
As far as the "ugliness" that has recently exposed itself, I for one, plan on backing away.
I believe in keeping things civil and in doing so learning from one another.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 09-09-2018 @ 8:53 PM
  Your right. and I thank you!

I, FINALLY, after quite a bit ofsearching, found a place that had it in 25' coils in (4) different sizes: 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 at a reasonable cost of $15.89 for the roll, plus shipping.

Neither Summit, Jegs, nor Speedway carry it in those long coils.

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12318