Topic: Hood Hinge Replacement

JayChicago    -- 08-08-2018 @ 7:14 PM
  I think I have a bad hood hinge. The hood just kisses the top of the cowl on one side while opening, and that side of the hood sits slightly below the top of the cowl when closed. There is a lot of slop in the two hinge pivot pins, and I can actually watch the back of the hood drop suddenly on that side as it nears the closed position. Also, there are signs that someone has been there before trying to raise the hinge on that side, but I don't see any indication that they were successful; looks like the hinge is sitting right where it always has been. So I'm thinking I will need to replace the worn hinge.

Here's my questions:

Bob Drake sells reproduction hinges. Are they likely to fit and function OK?

Do you think this is a one man job? Can I replace a hinge without removing the hood? Can I leave the spring arm in place to support the hood weight, set up supports at the front and rear of the hood and brace it against the cowl, and then expect the hood to stay put when I remove the hinge? Or will I be in for a big surprise?

kubes40    -- 08-11-2018 @ 5:42 AM
  If you really believe they are worn, yes, replacement(s) are probably a good idea. Drake hinges are "ok". You should check them very carefully against your original hinge(s) and be certain they are formed the same.

You can replace one hinge at a time by yourself. It sounds as if you are handy enough to handle this

When I restore a '40, I open up the hole in the cowl that the 5/16" stud (integral of the hinge) goes through. That allows exponentially more room to adjust the hood.
Keep in mind that by lowering the hinge, the hood will raise. I know that doesn't sound correct, but that's the reality.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 08-11-2018 @ 12:16 PM
  Thanks for that helpful info., Mike.

trjford8    -- 08-11-2018 @ 4:42 PM
  I have had good luck with the hinges from Vintique. You need to change both hinges rather than just one. You can change them one at a time, but make sure you put a lot of padding (old blankets or moving pads) on the cowl and front fenders. If the hood slips back it will land on the padding. I prefer to have some help as it makes the chance of having an "oh s*#t" a lot less. A second set of hands holding the front of the hood makes the job a heck of a lot easier.

trjford8    -- 08-11-2018 @ 4:42 PM
  I have had good luck with the hinges from Vintique. You need to change both hinges rather than just one. You can change them one at a time, but make sure you put a lot of padding (old blankets or moving pads) on the cowl and front fenders. If the hood slips back it will land on the padding. I prefer to have some help as it makes the chance of having an "oh s*#t" a lot less. A second set of hands holding the front of the hood makes the job a heck of a lot easier.

JayChicago    -- 08-12-2018 @ 3:03 PM
  Thanks. Yeah, I think you are right. I will get a second set of hands to help with this. Better safe than sorry.

If Vintique has this hinge, I would think chances are good that the hinge Drake is selling is the Vintique part.

JayChicago    -- 08-22-2018 @ 7:55 AM
  Follow-up:
I was able to get just enough movement out of the mounting bolts of my worn hood hinge so that I did not have to go thru the trouble and potential alignment problems with replacing the hinges. But only a tiny amount of adjustment is available, just what movement you can get out of the hinge bolts in their mounting holes, maybe 1/32 inch at the hinge. And with the geometry of the hinge, only a fraction of that will be seen at the back of the hood where it meets the cowl. So I can see why Mike suggests elongating the mounting holes to get some ability to adjust.

And as Mike pointed out, raising the hinge actually lowers the back of the hood. But by letting the weight of the open hood push down on the hinge, the loose hinge pivoted slightly and raised the back of the hinge, and that raised the back of the hood when in the closed position. But by just a slight amount!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12212