Topic: windshield water leaks

JayChicago    -- 07-27-2018 @ 6:08 AM
  Whenever I wash my car I get water in the interior, dripping from under the dashboard. The windshields are still wearing their original gaskets from 1940, now rock hard and cracked on the exterior surfaces, so I assume that's the source of the leaks. But I know water leaks on a car, like roof leaks on a building, can be elusive; where the leak is seen in the interior can be remote from the actual exterior source of the leak. So before I have the windshield gaskets replaced, I would like to know if there is any other investigating I should do.

I removed a windshield garnish molding and find no water there. By feeling up under the dash, it seems that the highest source of moisture is at the base of the A pillar, on both sides. I can feel wetness as far as I can get my hand up in the cavity between the dash and the exterior at the base of the A pillar. So, does that point to the windshield gaskets? Could water be getting into the A pillar cavity from some other place?

trjford8    -- 07-27-2018 @ 6:42 AM
  Lots of places for water leaks. First is the windshield gasket, second is the cowl vent gasket, third is the rubber on the cowl where the hood sits( it can leak around the screws if the rubber is old and hard), and fourth is the stainless trim on the cowl(water runs into the trim and the metal clips can wick the water into the cowl area). As you know the water can start in one place and come out in another, so they are many times hard to pinpoint.

trjford8    -- 07-27-2018 @ 6:43 AM
  Lots of places for water leaks. First is the windshield gasket, second is the cowl vent gasket, third is the rubber on the cowl where the hood sits( it can leak around the screws if the rubber is old and hard), and fourth is the stainless trim on the cowl(water runs into the trim and the metal clips can wick the water into the cowl area). As you know the water can start in one place and come out in another, so they are many times hard to pinpoint.

JayChicago    -- 07-28-2018 @ 9:41 AM
  Thanks. I think you are right, could be coming in from several places. While I see it dripping under dash under the A pillars, it could be traveling there along the slope of the cowl after entering elsewhere. I think I should try spraying the exterior at isolated specific areas, to see what I can learn from that.

fortyford    -- 07-29-2018 @ 8:35 PM
  You might check your wiper towers.I had water dripping in the floor and discovered it was the passenger wiper tower seal leaking.Don't use spray nozzle and just let the water flow out on each tower and other areas.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12156