Topic: Hard Starting When Hot:

fortyford    -- 07-15-2018 @ 9:01 AM
  I know this Horse has been beat to death but here goes again!My 40 is completely stock and runs pretty much perfect.I just got back from a little trip running it 65 to 70 with no problems(200 miles).The problem is when it is hot and sits for awhile it has to spin and spin before it fires up!I do run regular gas with ethanoyl and always have.It cranks perfect cold or half warm!Any ideas on what to check?I did install a carb spacer but this did not help.

kubes40    -- 07-15-2018 @ 9:10 AM
  I'd suggest you remove the air filter and (hand) pump the accelerator while looking down the throat of the carburetor. Do you witness two (full) streams of fuel? If so, you know it's not a fuel issue.

Next, I'd suggest you replace the condenser and coil (with KNOWN good parts) while the car is hot and immediately thereafter, see if it will start. If it does, then the issue is with the coil and / or condenser. At that point, it's simply a matter of figuring out which (or both) it is.

My guess, from what you are telling me, is it will be fuel related. You don't need any 'snake oil" fixes like a check valve flex line or spacer at the manifold / carb. Rather, a QUALITY rebuild of the pump and / or carb. would be in order.
For your vehicle I'd strongly advise you send the pieces to Charlie Schwendler. He does great work, is quick, reasonable and actually tests each piece prior to shipping.

George Haney for the coil. He can also test the condenser.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 07-15-2018 @ 2:55 PM
  Get rid of that Ethanol!The alchohol in it boils out when it sits and it's hot, and that also boils the gas in your carburator out with it! That Daxn stuff cases a lot of problems . I use non Ethanol, and have(4) classic cars, a '40 Ford, (2 )'50 Fords, and '57 Corvete, and never have any of the problems that all the guys on this site have with hard starting, hot or cold; over heating, etc., etc. These cars weren't built for all these modern gases and oils- stick to what they where built to use!! Alchohol for one thing will settle in you fuel tank and rust it out from the inside!! It absorbs water like a sponge!! The old brake fluid was a mix of glycerine and alchohol, and look what it did to the wheel cylinders! That's why, back then, the dealers said to flush your brake system every year, and nobody did it, because they thought it was just a "gimmick" for the dealer to make more money!!That's why they came up with Silicone brake fluid! Your making a lot of problems for yourself with all that crxp!! You like problems? Have at it!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 07-16-2018 @ 5:32 AM
  fortyford,
As a bit of reassurance, you can use ethanol based fuels with no issues - many of us do.

I am willing to methodically work with you to solve your starting issue. If you like, you are welcome to private message me. We'll get this!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8    -- 07-16-2018 @ 5:43 PM
  I run ethanol type gas in my '40 coupe with a flathead and have never had a problem with it starting when it gets warm. even when it sits a week or two I just pull out the choke and it fires right up. I would follow Kube's advice and check all the components he has mentioned.

TomO    -- 07-22-2018 @ 9:00 AM
  Check out this topic in the General Ford Discussion.

If you have good spark, the problem is a fuel issue. Hot starting issues can be flooding due to fuel leaking past the power valve.

Tom

Hrussell8750    -- 07-22-2018 @ 11:38 AM
  Please see my post Ethanol Fuel on this same issue, I have the same issue you do and have spent a fortune replacing parts and testing every electrical component. Skip Haney has tested my condensers and also rebuilt my coil, He does a great job.
I have found that the ethanol fuel does boil out of the carb, even with a spacer between carb and manifold. What I have found to work is Ethanol Free Fuel, it's not cheap but works. Another member stated he used low lead fuel he purchased from local small private air ports, that worked for him.
Let me ask you this, Does the car run and start fine in colder weather? mine does, my only problem is hot weather.
Hope I was of some help.

Thank You, Harry8750

fortyford    -- 07-22-2018 @ 7:56 PM
  Yes,my car runs and cranks good cold or half warm.It just has to spin over sometimes a good bit before it fires up when it is hot!I decided I did not want to go changing things and missing to much and create some other kind of problem.I just did today start putting ethanol free gas in to see if i get any changes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12125