Topic: Engine Ground Straps

kenburke    -- 04-27-2018 @ 2:10 PM
  Hi Mike, I am looking at the current restoration book, page 5-17 and comparing it to my car. On the battery side, my firewall was two ground studs. One behind the battery and the other between the battery and the solenoid. I have the braided battery strap going the stud behind the battery and a covered cable from the other stud to intake. Ford factory drawings shows two braided straps connecting the battery at the firewall at a stud left of the solenoid and the other then(2nd) to the engine. What the books shows at picture 5-12 on page 5-13 is not how my firewall is, nor is the book narrative appearing accurate on page 5-17, i.e., A strap going from left of solenoid all the way to the intake seams kind of far and looping under the solenoid all of the way up to top of intake bolt. My car, based on my vin was a of late 39 / early 1940 production car. So what is correct? Seams that there would be several length ground straps to be considered. My focus is the strap connecting to the engine. Thanks Again.

kubes40    -- 04-27-2018 @ 3:28 PM
  Ken,
As typical, you ask some good questions. It has become quite apparent to me that you have a keen eye for detail.

There were two basic designs of instrument panels (aka firewall). The first design was installed only through (approximately) October, 1939. The second design was installed for the remainder of 1940 production.

I will address only the ground "studs" and not other dissimilarities of the instrument panels at this time.

The first design had one ground stud behind the battery. To this stud both the engine ground and battery ground cables were fastened. The engine (end) of the ground cable was attached to a cylinder head stud.
And yes, as you suspected, that woven cable was longer than the later design and in fact did kind of wrap around the starter switch.

The second and final design of instrument panel had two ground studs. The one behind the battery stayed there but now only provided for the battery (woven) ground strap. The second stud was located a bit left of the starter switch. This stud was utilized for the engine ground strap only. This strap was shorter than the requisite (first design) strap. It was attached beneath the most rearward hex head bolt on the right side of the valve chamber cover.

Now, to perhaps "muddy" the water here... I have witnessed instrument panels with the "second stud" installed to the right of the starter switch vs. the left. I can't say how this happened, but it did.
I would be willing to hazard a guess and say simply, "someone goofed" when the second design was released for production. As this configuration is seldom witnessed, I'd hazard yet another guess and say the "goof" was fixed quite soon.

The bottom line?
If you have ONE stud, BOTH straps are fastened to it, the engine ground ending at a cylinder head stud. If you have TWO studs, the one closest to the engine is used for the engine ground only. That strap is fastened beneath the valve chamber cover bolt as described earlier.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kenburke    -- 04-28-2018 @ 8:38 AM
  Mike, As usual, that pretty much covers it. Thanks!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11858