Topic: 1940 Ford Fuel Gauge Tank Unit

thunder road    -- 04-19-2018 @ 10:37 AM
  Here is a photo of a 1940 Ford NOS Fuel Sending Unit. A good friend of mine who is very knowledgeable with 40 Ford cars and parts told me that some time in the late 40’s Ford offered a universal Fuel sender to cover the years between 1940/1953. He explained to me that the kit came with a sender and a special adapter sleeve which would allow you to use your old exstention arm and float, You simply had to remove the arm from your old unit and attach it to the new Ford sender by means of the special sleeve that is tapped for the set screws. This sounds like a great idea and eliminates the impossible task of trying to find an NOS or good used 1940 Ford pass. car sending unit. My friend has one of these original adapter kits, and he said that it comes with a guild that shows the correct length and bend in the extension arms for all the cars and trucks. If you can make this dual barrel sleeve and tap it for the set screws , you should be able to take any Ford 6 Volt NOS sending unit 1940 thru 1953 then carefully use a dremiel and remove the aluminum sleeve install the special adapter with your old extension arm and float and as long as you keep the angle of the extension arm the same as the original sender it should work.Maybe Ford was trying to get away from having to stock so many different sender's .

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 4-19-18 @ 6:22 PM

nelsb01    -- 04-19-2018 @ 4:24 PM
  The base unit --- sender and arm --- were the same from 1936 to 1957 (not exactly sure of the ending year). So you are correct that substituting a new base unit with the original hook and float will work. The base units are the same, even when Ford switched to 12 volts along the way.
Any 6 volt Ford base unit will work -- as long as you attach your hook end and float. You can use the same clip -- you just have to carefully removed it from the one that doesn't work and use it again.
Been doing this for years.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 4-19-18 @ 4:42 PM

thunder road    -- 04-19-2018 @ 6:20 PM
  nelsbo1 that's great news that you have successfully done this before, and that you can reuse the clip. Ford went to 12 volts in 1956, Chevrolet had 12 volts in 1955. This opens up the door for supply because their is a lot of Ford Car, and Truck NOS sender's between 37 and 55 on the market.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 4-19-18 @ 6:25 PM

TomO    -- 04-20-2018 @ 7:06 AM
  Unless you unit is very rusty, they can usually be put back in service by changing the float or cleaning the contacts inside the unit.

Tom

thunder road    -- 06-08-2018 @ 10:45 AM
  Tom as always thanks' for the great advice on these very hard to get 40 sender unit's . I though that I seen an ad a long time ago of someone in hemming's who could re-build them?

Domenic

TomO    -- 06-09-2018 @ 8:01 AM
  There are ads in Hemmings for rebuilding the units. Bob Speedometer is one place.

Look at the bottom of the unit to see if the diaphragm is rusty, surface rust is ok. If it is, the unit may not be repairable.

Connect an ohm meter between the screw that holds the wire and the case of the sending unit. Move the arm through its full range of movement. If the ohm meter shows continuity at any point in the movement, the points need cleaning.

The sending unit cover is easy to pry off and then you can carefully clean the contacts with a very fine burnishing blade or contact cleaner.

If you do not get continuity, the wire connection to the contact points may be broken. The wire can be repaired with solder, but unless you do it correctly, the unit will fail in a short time.

Here is a photo of the inside of the sending unit

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11835