Topic: 1940 Ford assembly plant's

thunder road    -- 02-14-2018 @ 6:18 AM
  In my post "1940 Ford vin. number's "38fordpickup says all the engines and transmission's for U.S. production car's and truck's were built at the River Rouge plant in Michigan, and then shipped out to the assembly plant's around the country. How many assembly plant's did Ford have at this time? And what city and State were they in? I know that in 1964 and a half ford started making the Mustang's in two plant's. Dearborn Michigan= "F" code, and Metuchen N.J.= T code. By the start of 1965 , with demand for the Mustang going though the roof, they then added on a third assembly plant San Jose , Ca.= "R" code. In my opinion Dearborn made the most mustang's 64-thur 66. During this time frame.The three assembly plant's were able to produce a" real lot" of Mustang's .

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 2-14-18 @ 6:21 AM

trjford8    -- 02-14-2018 @ 8:02 AM
  As I recall there were two plants in California in the 40's. One was in Richmond, California and the other in Los Angeles, California.

thunder road    -- 02-14-2018 @ 9:33 AM
  Triford8 , when it comes to the 65-66 fastback mustang's the San Jose car's were a little different from the one's produced in Dearborn and Metuchen. This is especially good to know if your looking at a so called real 65 or 66 Shelby since all of these were built in San Jose. I don't think there is anyway to tell where our early ford's where built? Domenic

Domenic

alt63bird    -- 02-14-2018 @ 5:14 PM
  I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but my April or May '40 V8 Tudor is from around the Omaha area. The firewall on the driver's side upper vertical panel (think directly above the voltage regulator) has the letters 'KC' stamped into it. Kansas City was one of the final assembly plants at that time, along with Dallas and a host of others around the USofA, Canada, etc. Take a look at this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories

Alan H. Tast, AIA, LEED AP
Technical Director, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l
www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net
1940 Ford V8 Tudor (Since 1979 & still in pieces)

thunder road    -- 02-15-2018 @ 7:27 PM
  Bob Lincoln , just told me that in his Ford news Magazine's 1938 Edgewater N.J. was not only a Ford assembly plant, but it was also the largest assembly plant in the U.S. at the time. Also he listed Chester , PA. and Summerville Mass. All three of these plant's serving the East Coast. Thanks' to Alt63bird, now I am going to check every 40 ford and see if stamped into the firewall above the voltage regulator if there is any letters that might help to determine where it was built. Bob said he is going to try and get me some more locations of the rest of the Ford assembly plant's . Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 2-16-18 @ 11:40 AM

39 Ken    -- 02-16-2018 @ 2:56 AM
  Respectfully, the Chester assembly plant was in Chester, Pa.
Ken

thunder road    -- 02-16-2018 @ 11:42 AM
  Ken , thanks for the info on the Chester plant.

Domenic

sarahcecelia    -- 03-10-2018 @ 12:52 PM
  A real Carol Shelby can be told from a repro with a magnet. Real Shelbys had aluminum bodys and are worth about 125 to 150 thousand or more. They were built to run at LeMans!, by who? Carol Shelby!! , one of the alltime, greats in automotive history. And his auto graph was on the dash. Brings back memories of Smokey Yunick!

Regards, Steve Lee

thunder road    -- 03-13-2018 @ 5:18 AM
  Hello Sarahcecelia, the Shelby's that were made of aluminum were the AC Cobra's based on the English Bristell cars . The Mustang based 65-66 Shelby's were made out of San Jose built K-code mustang fastbacks. Two version's were made the race version which is not street legal about 36 car's and the street version about 562 cars for 1965.These 65 thru 67 mustang based Shelby's went on to win the title in the SCCA
for three consecutive years 1965 thru 1967.
Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 3-13-18 @ 5:26 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11662