Topic: Jan,/Feb. V-8 times pg.15

thunder road    -- 01-04-2018 @ 11:59 AM
  Boy you guys really do your home work, in regards to referring to the term standard for their 1940 ford lower priced cars . On page 15 second paragraph it states," all cars in this group are to be designated as ' Ford V-8' cars. They go on to list" 22 improvements for the 1940 model year." Three of which had to do with the new front bench seat. Paragraph 5, 9, and 10 all refer to the new split bench front seat. Four more inches of room in the rear for their knees. In my opinion this was totally due to the new business coupe model. They went to great lengths to try and prove that the"1940" ford coupe could put people in the back. Pg.,16 top left it states: Coupe afforded seating capacity for five persons-presumably, five persons very well acquainted with one another: if not at the outset of their trip, certainly at the end. By 1939 the Chevrolet"s, and the Pontiacs exc. "s bodies where already bigger and had the rear jump seats so" Ford "had to try and pull it off. Look at the picture on pg. 16 it shows a woman sitting on the jump seat her back is parallel with the lower rear window garnish molding. If the back of my 5 window coupe's rear division Masonite boards are at the same location as this drop off, I can't see why the correct 1940 jump seat's won't fit if you get a correct 1940 split bench front seat?

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 1-10-18 @ 5:57 AM

trjford8    -- 01-06-2018 @ 7:51 AM
  There's a big difference in the floor pans between the coupe with the jump seats and the coupe with the package shelf.

thunder road    -- 01-06-2018 @ 2:18 PM
  I had a 1940 business coupe for 17 years . I had to replace the trunk pan, and the front floors on that car so I am familiar with the two different floor layouts. I now have a original rust free, 5 window coupe and when I measure from the sides to the drive shaft hump it's about 23 inches and from the rear vertical Masonite boards to the back of the 5 window seat it's about 20 inches with the front seat in the midway position. The original 40 jump seats measure 16" by 18 " so if I left one inch at the Masonite board I would have one inch to the back of the front seat. With a correct" 40 "split bench seat installed, they should have the room to pivot up and down. I would mount the jump seats on a separate piece of plywood, or 1/8 plate if necessary , so they are not permeant, or attached to the floor, and with no modifications to the original floors. I am not trying to put people back their ,I just like the look, and I do have the" one year only 1940 jump seats". I would also keep the 5-window seat so it could always be returned back to original. I hope Mike doesn't get upset with me. Also one of my sons, really likes it with the shelf so it may never happen.Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 1-10-18 @ 6:01 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11515