Topic: Generator

alsmith39    -- 07-09-2017 @ 9:18 AM
  I removed the engine from my 40 Ford a few years ago. I recently had the engine completely rebuilt. My grandson and I now have a problem with the wiring to the generator. I would appreciate any photos showing all of the wiring to the generator. There are two connections on the side and a loose nut on the back of the generator.

len47merc    -- 07-09-2017 @ 9:23 AM
  Perhaps this link will be of some help for you, not only with your generator connections but elsewhere as well. This schematic assumes you have either the original wiring harness still intact or a NOS/new replacement, either with the original color coding:

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_electrical-pics/Flathead_Electrical_wiring1940std.jpg

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-9-17 @ 9:24 AM

len47merc    -- 07-09-2017 @ 10:18 AM
  I could provide pics of a '47 which may be the same generator (part #81A-10000-D - read on) but I recall '40's have a total of two wires - 1 running to the top driver's side of the generator and one to the rear. It sounds like you may have a generator intended for the '46-'48 models but it will still work on a '40. The wire connected to the back of the generator should be a heavier gauge and yellow with a black tracer. This should connect to the 'ARM' connection on the voltage regulator. The wire to the top stud on the driver's side of the generator (likely stamped 'FIELD' in the generator case just to the left of the stud) may be black with a white tracer (if the same as a '46-'48) and connect to the 'FLD' or field connection on your voltage regulator.

The bottom stud on the driver's side is for a ground wire on the '46s-'48s which is black with a red tracer. You should achieve your ground through the generator case, generator bracket and intake manifold. Be sure all of the MATING surfaces of these items are clean, bare metal and are not painted. It would not be a bad idea to run a ground wire from the generator case (ask others to confirm whether this can be attached to the bottom stud on the driver's side of your generator on a '40 or not) to a good ground such as the passenger side mounting foot of the voltage regulator. Some voltage regulators have a tag or lug to connect a ground wire to. The regulator I have now has a brass grommet/ferrule on the passenger side mounting foot for this purpose - I bared the firewall underneath to maximize conductivity.

Perhaps kubes40 or others can lend a thought here or correction if necessary.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-9-17 @ 11:08 AM

alsmith39    -- 07-09-2017 @ 11:03 AM
  Thanks so much. I think you are right in that I probably have a non 40 generator.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-11-2017 @ 10:28 AM
  ARM , FLD are stamped into the case at their posts

Regards, Steve Lee

alsmith39    -- 07-23-2017 @ 4:30 PM
  Could you send a pic or two of the generator wiring ?
Thanks

len47merc    -- 07-23-2017 @ 4:58 PM
  kubes40 - any chance you might have a photo for alsmith39 of '40 gen wiring? I got nothing for him on a '40 other than schematics from the usual sources and do not want to provide misinformation or inaccuracies. Suspect the wiring colors and tracers may be as stated above but want to ensure alsmith39 receives accurate info and representative pics. Thanks.

Steve

kubes40    -- 07-24-2017 @ 1:43 PM

This message was edited by kubes40 on 7-24-17 @ 1:44 PM

kubes40    -- 07-24-2017 @ 1:44 PM
  How's this?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc    -- 07-24-2017 @ 1:50 PM
  That's Great Mike - that engine's clean as a Safeway chitlin'!

From this alsmith39 you can see my earlier description above of the wire colors & tracers as well as gauge was correct for the '40 as well.

Thanks again Mike!

Steve

alsmith39    -- 07-24-2017 @ 6:15 PM
  Just what I needed Thank You

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10951