Topic: 40 battery gauge:

fortyford    -- 12-27-2016 @ 2:34 AM
  The battery gauge on my 40 used to read correctly when driving I thought.It used to read in the green area going about 55mph down the road.Now when I turn the switch on and crank the car it goes to middle at line between the red and yellow area and stays there.It makes no difference if car is just sitting or going 55mph.Car still cranks good and lights work good with no show of a discharge?Is this normal or is something going on?

This message was edited by fortyford on 12-27-16 @ 3:41 AM

TomO    -- 12-27-2016 @ 6:36 AM
  It sound like your voltage regulator is not working. To check this out, connect a volt meter to the BATT terminal of the Voltage regulator and increase the engine RPMs to about 1,000. The meter should read 7.2-7.4 volts.

If you have the regulator with screws holding the cover on, cleaning the contacts may cure the problem. Disconnect the battery. Remove the cover of the voltage regulator and spray the contacts with contact cleaner. I like the tuner cleaner sold by Radio Shack. Operate the relays by hand a few times and replace the cover. Reconnect the battery and check the voltage again.

Tom

fortyford    -- 01-31-2017 @ 6:02 PM
  Tom,I checked at the battery terminal on regulator with car reved up and I am only getting about 6.20 volts.I don't have any problem with lights or cranking.It is just the gauge only reads about the middle now at 55 to 60??I was told my battery is charged up and has no demand on it?????

TomO    -- 02-02-2017 @ 9:00 AM
  If your battery was fully charged, it would read 6.5 V. Your regulator or generator is not working. If you know of a generator repair shop in your area, take both of them to have them checked out. Your battery gauge is working correctly. That is where it should read at 6.2 volts.

If your charging system was working correctly, you should see about 7.2 -7.4V at the battery terminal at 1500 RPM, even if your battery is at full charge.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 07-02-2017 @ 11:37 AM
  I'm assuming in the aforementioned voltage regulator test, that "disconnect battery" means the battery terminal on the regulator?

TomO    -- 07-03-2017 @ 9:31 AM
  No, It means disconnect the battery from the car.

Tom

fortyford    -- 07-03-2017 @ 6:01 PM
  The problem was my regulator.I installed new regulator and needle on gauge goes in the green now.Thanks Men for the help.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-04-2017 @ 7:52 AM
  So you start the motor, and then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, and then go from ground to BAT terminal on the regulator to read the volts? This would be of course,after getting the motor warmed to operating temp, and reving to about 1500 RPM'S?

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-04-2017 @ 8:01 AM
  Now I'm really confused!!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-04-2017 @ 8:02 AM
  One lead on the bat terminal and the other on??? Ground????

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=10374