LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Telltales for True Mileage Estimate - 1935 Coupe

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Telltales for True Mileage Estimate - 1935 Coupe

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

rmetzg
08-03-2015 @ 2:09 PM

I've been working hard on this 1935 5-window coupe, and now have it running around town just fine. I recently inherited it from my father, who didn't put 500 miles on it in the 25 years that he owned it. I've always been led to believe that the odometer (which works) is correct at 14,800 miles. HOWEVER, after working on it this last month, I have some doubts about whether or not the odometer might have rolled over once, making it a 114,000 mile car.

The body is straight, it looks like it has been garaged much of its life, it's been repainted and reupholstered (I'm pretty sure), it has the original engine which runs fine, but shows a lot of carbon buildup on the pistons. My question - what would be some obvious telltales that would help me distinguish if it has 14,000 or 114,000 miles?

Here is a video walkaround - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWXH3vA6XCg

Many thanks,

Alan,
Fort Collins, CO

MG
08-03-2015 @ 2:46 PM
Senior

It's a very nice car. You'll have a lot of fun with it. How do you know there's "a lot of carbon buildup on the pistons"??? From the video, I'm inclined to think that it's an older restoration....

ford38v8
08-03-2015 @ 8:14 PM
Senior

Alan, at 2:44 into the video, the condition of the original radiator can be seen. I doubt that this radiator has only seen 14,000 miles. The fact that the car has been reupholstered and painted also indicates a restored car. The later fuel pump shows that whoever restored it wasn't concerned so much with original miles as he was with drivability. The steering wheel leather cover would also indicate a desire to make it drivable as opposed to being a trailer queen. The condition of the dash and instruments is impressive, possible indicating restored or NOS instruments, which would perhaps mean resetting the odometer to zero, a practice that in your fathers time would have been commonplace at used car dealerships. You say there is no indication of rebuild tags or markings on the engine, which itself would be amazing to still be in good running condition after 114,000 miles, but replacement engines are not always identifiable as such anyway. It may well be a low mileage car, but a 14,000 mile car wouldn't normally need paint and upholstery. Look under the car and you're likely to see clues of many more than only 14,000 miles. I would be happy to simply keep track of the miles you put on it, and knowing that your father kept it garaged all those years for you. You have a very nice car, and can be proud to call it an "Older restoration of a nice original."

Alan

rmetzg
08-04-2015 @ 10:04 AM

MG - I can see the carbon buildup when I pull the spark plugs and look inside with a good flashlight. One day, I'll open it up and remove all that - for now, it's probably boosting my compression!

ford38v8 - thanks for your input. You are probably right about it not having 14,000 miles on it. I began to have my suspicions when I started working on it. The radiator is old and probably original and the fins are straight on it, but the cap was rusted through (I replaced it with the correct model, including the bail). My dad replaced the fuel pump a while ago - not sure what the story was behind that.

Working underneath the car (replacing the brake light switch), all appears to be original, but greasy and dirty. Not any dirt buildup in the wheel wells. When I was inside the drivers door last weekend, I found some small pieces of old broken glass, as well as the object in the attached picture (about 6" long). I assume it to be related to the original window channel or regulator - but the window works just fine, so I think someone disassembled the old unit, accidentally dropped this inside, and just left it. All of this points to an early restoration as has been mentioned.

In some ways, I'm glad. If the car truly had only 14,000 miles, I might be more hesitant to put more miles on it because of value. Instead, I think I can drive it every couple of weekends without fear of devaluation - and enjoy it for what it is. As it was meant to be enjoyed.

Kens 36
08-04-2015 @ 11:45 AM

Alan,

You are probably seeing carbon buildup on the valves, not the pistons, if you are looking through the spark plug hole.

Ken

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org