LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / looking for cause of overheating 34

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: looking for cause of overheating 34 -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

carguy
07-22-2014 @ 1:41 PM

I recently took my '34 out for a little drive around town and surprised when I found it was boiling over. Not sure if it is a radiator or engine problem. Any suggestions to help determine which is the likely problem area will be appreciated.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

supereal
07-22-2014 @ 2:02 PM
Senior

There are lots of possibilities. Did your car always run hot? Coolant topped off in the radiator? Belt driving the pumps properly tensioned? If these are OK, it boils down (my pun) to a partially plugged radiator, or combustion leak at one of the head gaskets. Fill the radiator to the top of the tube, start the engine, and watch for bubbles. If they appear, a head gasket is bad. If not, be sure the thermostats, if you run them, are in place and open fully when tested in a pan of water on the stove. Are any of the brakes stuck and not retracting when the pedal is released? If you pass all of these, a new radiator is the probably cure.

carguy
07-24-2014 @ 1:38 PM

Thanks Supereal. I'm suspecting head gasket(s).

Checking temperatures at the radiator hoses and across the radiator everything seems reasonable but at a fast idle the coolant level continues to increase even after the temperature seems stabilized with no, or only occasional, bubbling. But when I increase the rpm's I see significant bubbling when looking down into the radiator and the coolant is running out of the overflow tube quite a bit.

So, Head gaskets right? Or possibly a cracked block?
I'm assuming the thing to do is to pull both heads, see what there is to see and go from there?

Comments appreciated.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

supereal
07-24-2014 @ 2:32 PM
Senior

I'd run the compression check before pulling the heads to narrow down which side is probably involved. I doubt that a cracked block is the cause if the problem just began, unless the engine was highly overheated recently. Before you reinstall the head(s), have them checked and resurfaced. Head gasket failure is mostly due to warping of the head. Look for cracks in the vicinity of the exhaust valve seats. That is the usual place to find them. I suggest that you put in a bottle of Barr's Leaks when you have the engine back together as a precaution. Let us know what you find.

TomO
07-25-2014 @ 7:28 AM
Senior

I would remove the water pump belt and redo the bubble test. The bubbles could be normal. Are you using water, Prestone or Sierra.

If you still have bubbles, do the compression check or drain the radiator, remove the upper hoses, fill the block with water until it is visible in the pump outlets and repeat the test to determine which side is failing.

Tom

flathead47
07-25-2014 @ 8:54 AM

May I suggest before you start taking your motor apart check your coolant for combustion products. You local garage should be able to do the test , they take a sample from your rad & add it to a test solution , it will change colour if combustion products are present. You can check your spark plugs , if you have water in the cylinder ( head gasket ) the spark plug will be white , ie steam cleaned.
If you have a broken or stuck valve spring this can cause a change in motor temperature & performance , a compression test will indicate the bad cylinder.
If it comes down to the radiator before you replace it try removing your thermostats & coolant if using , replace with water & 2 Cascade all in 1 dishwater tablets. Drive the car for 30 to 40 miles & drain. Replace only with water again , drive 30 to 40 miles & drain. If you have a calcium problem in your cooling system this will clean both the block & radiator.
I had a boilover issue with my car read about this procedure on the Ford Barn , tried it , car now runs cool & system has been cleaned out.

carguy
07-25-2014 @ 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I did run compression tests. When removing the spark plugs I found that the plug in #1 was a bit difficult to remove like there was some contamination on the threads - I didn't see anything, however. all of the plugs were black and sooty, I attribute this to not being able to drive any significant highway miles.

The compression readings were from 1-8 96,90,95,94,100,96,86,95. Readings taken with throttle plates and choke open and no oiling of the cylinders.

Except possibly for the 86 reading I see nothing significant here. Comments please. Thanks.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

This message was edited by carguy on 7-25-14 @ 10:56 AM

CraigTerry
07-25-2014 @ 3:35 PM

Ok Guys - I'm dealing with a overheating issue as well. Running a 1936 flathead 8.

Checked following and found all ok - thermostats, circulation in radiator, belt tension, clean 50/50 green fluid, brakes adjusted, head gasket.

Runs at top of normal while underway, when i stop I'm losing fluid through the overflow.

I pulled the thermostats and tested without them, got the same results.

Any suggestions.

CraigTerry
07-25-2014 @ 7:41 PM

Ps: putting thermostats back in, switching 50/50 mix to water with rust inhibitor. Open to any other ideas?

len47merc
07-26-2014 @ 4:13 AM
Senior

Craig Terry - suggestion to review, if you haven't already, the thread entitled 'Pressurized Radiator Cap' from a couple of days ago and see if any ideas there help you.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-26-14 @ 5:01 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org