LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Noisy Speedometer

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Noisy Speedometer

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

carcrazy
10-21-2016 @ 8:33 PM
Senior

What is the cause of a noisy speedometer with an indicator needle that jumps around the dial and sometimes stay buried out of sight past the top speed mark? What is the easiest fix for correcting this condition?

56MarkII
10-21-2016 @ 9:06 PM

A squealing buzzing noise? There is a brass bushing in the speedometer drive where the cable core is inserted into. You will see a small shaft with a square hole with this bushing surrounding it. The lubricant dries up and this happens. You could probably give a very tiny shot of WD-40 in there that might help. Use it sparingly because you dont want it getting where you dont want it. If the speedometer was out of the car you could use a drop of sewing machine oil or a very light oil there instead of the WD-40

nelsb01
10-21-2016 @ 10:37 PM
Senior

DO NOT USE WD-40. For as good as it is for other things, it will not help your speedometer. Trust me -- I know.
Get some liquid graphite. Disconnect speedo cable and add some down the cable.
Clean off any extra that may get on the housing or screw cap.
This liquid graphite will get up into the end of the speedo cable and take care of the speedo head.

Drive the car for a short distance. If the jumping needle doesn't stop --- add a little more and drive again. It usually calms down after a few miles.

BUCKAWHO
10-22-2016 @ 5:03 AM

Again, do not use WD-40...it is not a good lubricant. WD stands for "water displacement". It is meant for freeing up rusted and stuck parts. Very poor lube qualities. Best use sewing machine oi, gun oil, or a graphite lube. BT

56MarkII
10-22-2016 @ 1:08 PM

That's why I mentioned the sewing machine oil as well. If you are attempting to get some lubrication up here by crawling up under the dash like I had to years ago in my Merc it is very dificult to get much of anything in there. Mine was buzzing and jumping around in cooler weather as well. The original lubricant dries out and in my case a tiny bit of the WD worked for me. Yes it is a water dispersant it has a slightly better lubricant quality than most so called penetrating oils. If it is miserable to get to the speedometer drive, removing the cluster is probably the best choice but some of these are very difficult to remove. My attempt of giving a very tiny shot of the WD with the plastic tube stuck into the spray nozzle did work and it was done laying on my back upside down with my legs up on the seat back. Nothing was damaged and if it works it works. If it doesn't it doesn't that's why I mentioned don't get carried away and spray a large amount of this product up there. In my case a tiny amount went a long way and did the job. Yes my speedo is still working.

1932BB
10-22-2016 @ 1:10 PM

After lubing the cable, drive the car before connecting the cable as the "whip" of the cable may damage the speedometer.

jwitt
10-23-2016 @ 7:30 PM

You didn't say what car you have, but I will pass on what I've learned about this problem. In my '36 it's pretty easy to take the speedo head out of the dash. There is a small (1/8 inch) soft metal plug in the back of speedo housing that can be lifted out (small needle nose pliers). This hole should get just a few drops of sewing machine or 3-1 oil. This will free up the dry bushing for the internal shaft . More is not better, BTW.

The needle is driven from a rotating magnet mounted to the shaft that is lubricated as above. The cable drives this shaft in turn. If the cable is old and dry, try pulling the cable out of the housing and cleaning it with mineral spirits, drying it then lubing the cable with a very light grease. Don't grease the last foot of the cable -- the grease will migrate up there and you don't want it getting inside the speedo head.

For what its worth, I used a nut driver to remove the nuts holding the speedo head bracket to the dash. There are a couple of 10-32 studs which are welded to the back of the dash that the bracket and nuts go on to hold the speedo head in. In my '36 you just sit in front of the steering wheel and reach up under the dash and take those nuts off. You can do it by feel and not have to work upside down.

Hope this helps your situation. It's nice to have a working speedometer.

John

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

carcrazy
10-23-2016 @ 8:12 PM
Senior

Hi John,
The car is a 1953 Ford car.

TomO
10-25-2016 @ 9:23 AM
Senior

Speedometer cable lube is a thin graphite lube and does a very good job of lubricating the cable.

In 53 Ford recommended white Lithium grease to lube the cable.

This is how I do it. Disconnect the cable at the speedometer head, remove the cable from the housing, clean with mineral spirits, check for burrs (replace cable if burrs are found), lightly lube( use either the graphite or white grease) the cable as you are reinstalling it into the housing and reconnect the cable to the speedometer.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org