LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 41 Mercury parts

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 41 Mercury parts

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

chief61
04-18-2014 @ 10:39 AM

Hello everyone.
I just bought a 41 mercury Coupe. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get body parts? what I need first is weather stripping for the air vent on the cowling & I really would like to find some side view mirrors driver & passenger side

TomO
04-19-2014 @ 7:37 AM
Senior

Congratulations on your new purchase. The 41 Mercury came in two different Coupe models with 3 configurations. The one with a full back seat was called the Sedan Coupe. The other 2 configurations were called Coupe. One of the Coupe configurations has 2 small auxiliary seats in the back and the other one had a package shelf and the front seat raised up to allow access to storage.

There are many parts that are only 41 Mercury, so I suggest that you buy a reprint of the 38-41 Chassis Parts catalog, join the Early Ford V-8 Club of America and buy the 41-48 Ford book. The Ford and Mercury use most of the same mechanical parts, the body is the same from the cowl back, but longer on the Mercury from the cowl forward.

C&G Ford Parts is the vendor used by many of us for reproduction parts. They handle the better reproductions and their service is good. For Mercury specific parts, you may have to resort to Classified ads on this site and on the Ford Barn. E-Bay is another resource and the big swap meets are fun to attend, and you might luck out.

There are many good vendors listed on the home page of this site under the VENDOR tab.

Bob Drake's cowl vent seal is probably the best.

There are no reproductions of the side view mirrors for the 39 - 41 Mercury cowl mount mirror. The cowl mount was the only one Ford offered. The passenger side cowl mount mirrors are not visible from the driver's seat.

Tom

chief61
04-19-2014 @ 1:38 PM

Thanks Tom great info. I appreciate it
Bill

tbirdhandyman
01-25-2015 @ 11:47 AM

Hello Chief61, I have good news for you on the cowl mirrors for your '41 Mercury! C&G part #'s 21A-18402-R & 21A-18403-L as shown on page 220 of their catalog. They list these mirrors for '47 -'48 Mercuries, but the shape of the front and rear base is exactly like the '41, not like the later cars. The base is 0.155" of an inch wider than the '41 trim, but you cannot see the difference when installed on the car. I have them on my '41 convertible and a friends '41 fordor. You can see a photo of my car in the classified "for sale" section of the forum. Below is a close-up photo. If you talk to C&G, make sure the base is still like the ones I got back in 2012. Robert E.

Tbirdhandyman

TomO
01-26-2015 @ 6:24 AM
Senior

Robert,

Your 41 convertible looks awesome. Cotswold Gray is one of my favorite Mercury colors. Good luck in selling it.

Tom

woodiewagon46
01-26-2015 @ 11:19 AM
Senior

Chief, you may want to rethink the passenger side cowl mirror, it's almost impossible for you to see it from the drivers seat. Looks nice but just about useless.

42oink
04-07-2015 @ 4:25 PM

Hi Chief, Sounds like you have the mirror situation under control! I don't know if there were some other particular items that you might need, but with the rarity of the 41 and differences, you should get whatever spare parts you can when you can. I have a few parts available over in the classified parts section that I saved from a street-rodded car. Take a look and good luck with the Merc. 42oink.

sq1954
02-27-2017 @ 7:26 AM

All your body weatherstripping is the same as 41 Ford. Dennis Carpenter makes all the rubber parts for the 41 Fords and any that are special to 41 Merc. On you mirrors the 42-48 Ford ones will fit but the shape is a little different. The mirrors for the 41 Merc are 41 Merc only. They are extremly rare. Years ago someone on the east coast was reproducing them but pasted away a number of years ago.

ken ct.
02-27-2017 @ 8:56 AM
Senior

Guard those parking lites with your life. They are very early 41 Merc. only ,later 41's used the ford parking lites. They are impossible to find. I have a 41 Merc glove box lock which attaches to the dashboard not the door itself. (NOS) with keys. if you need. great looking car and love the color. ken ct.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org