LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1932 Ford Discussion / Value of 32 Std 5 Window Coupe

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Value of 32 Std 5 Window Coupe -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

speedyroadster
11-21-2009 @ 11:11 AM

I am looking for the value (range w/ qualifications) of a 1932 4 or 8 cylinder Model B Standard 5 Window Coupe.....older or new restoration, and possibly some shopping tips. I've been a member of the club for years and all I own is one flathead V-8 engine (8BA). I would finally like to own a car and would appreciate any advise and help. Also, if any members in the TX-AR-OK-MS-LA areas have such a car for sale.

Thanks!
Speedyroadster

supereal
11-21-2009 @ 2:57 PM
Senior

Any '32 has been coveted by the rodders for many years. In most price guides, the coupe shows between $12,000 to $20,000 for the #3 to #2 cars, the kind that would be worth the cost of restoration. That said, price guides are notoriously low, and even with the depressed economy taking the steam out of collector car sales, most intact '32s would probably bring higher money. That is why the fiberglass repros have become so popular. If you are not a seasoned buyer, I recommend that you enlist a member of the club to go with you to see any available cars. The '32 cars are very similar to the Model A's, which have a wooden skeleton, and can be difficult and expensive to put back into running condition. You might consider a pickup truck as your first project. They are less expensive, and usually a good way to start.

ford38v8
11-21-2009 @ 4:57 PM
Senior

Welcome to the Forum, Speedy. Super gives some pretty good advise,
but I'll add to it a little: While shopping for a car, and this goes for any
car, modern or antique, decide on what you want and then buy the very
best example of that car that you can find, even if you feel at the time
that you are paying more than it's worth. You'll find out later the actual
cost of buying a car that is less than the very best. you'll be way
money ahead with the more expensive perfect car than the bargain car.

Regarding your reference to a 1932 Model B, that is the designation
given the 4 cylinder Fords. the V8 cars were designated Model 18.
These Model designations are the prefix of the serial number that
appears on the driver's side top frame rail under the hood, and will
appear on the DMV Title of the car. Without these correct matching
numbers, your car may not be properly registered in your name, which
at the very least would be a cloud on the Title, the result of which
should considerably lower its true value.

Alan

trjford8
11-22-2009 @ 7:36 AM
Senior

Speedy, 5 windows have gained in popularity in the last couple of years. I think you mnay be looking at spending $30,000 plus for a nice example. Watch the auction sites and look on the internet for auctiuon results and this will give you an idea of value. As Al has suggested take someone with you to look at the car. A second set of eyes will usually see a lot of things that you may miss.
You want to buy the best example you can find even if it may cost a little more money. "Today's high price is tomorrow's bargain". I would also run a want ad in the V-8 Times.You get one free ad per year and you may find a nice car that has been owned by another V-8er. If you post a want ad on the internet you need to be aware of overseas scams and people selling junk to the first time buyer. These predators are out there and you need to be careful. This site is very secure because were require registration.

1932BB
11-22-2009 @ 11:28 AM

All good advice! I started with 3 BB's and parts of two others with an investment of less than $2500. I saved all receipts in a folder and have not summoned the nerve to add them all up! I distinctly remember getting tired of spending money however. 1932 is one of he more difficult models due to limited production and the uniqueness of the one-year model of course. Not an easy first project as compared to A's or late thirties or forties etc. I would like to reinforce Supereal's suggestion of starting with a pickup and add that BB's share sheet metal with the pickup, which makes things easier with the addition of reproduced frames, beds, rear fenders etc.

Keep up the good work Supereal!

supereal
11-26-2009 @ 2:46 PM
Senior

Thanks, 32, for your kind words. My rule of thumb is that any car I buy must be running, and that I plan to spend at least three times the purchase price to put it in good enough shape to be able to reliably drive the vehicle safely. Like most "old hands" in the hobby, I have violated these rules more than once. I'm lucky, as we have a big shop for the mechanical work, but it is still an expensive pursuit. My standard advice for those without resources is to find a vehicle that has already been restored before attempting a "basket case" because it is less expensive. The current poor economy has opened lots of possibilities as many owners are trying to raise quick cash. It is a wonderful hobby for most of us, but getting in over your head will almost certainly produce another abandoned "project".

ethacker
12-28-2009 @ 1:29 PM

I have a related question. I bought my father's 1932 Ford 5-window coupe Model 18 a few years ago (he was the third owner) a few years back. It is in great shape and all original (including paint) except for a swap out for the 34 carburetor for the Detroit Lubricator before my dad bought it. It runs great with nice compression. Not showroom glossy (couple of dings) but I wouldn't be shy to take it to a meet sometime for judging. All it needs is a new wiring harness (original is kinda spotty). Everyone keeps asking me if I want to sell it (I don't) but it makes me wonder what it would be worth in a normal economy. Any ideas?

ford38v8
12-28-2009 @ 8:21 PM
Senior

Ethacker, You have a real jewel there, according to your description. A V8 in original condition with some family history is priceless. If someday you did need to sell it, you'd soon regret it, regardless of the price it brought. You'll soon learn that the pedestrians who admire your car at the weekend car shows will have just one question for you: "How much is it worth?" We all have our favorite responses to such a rude question, some of which aren't printable.

Regarding having your Deuce judged, you'll need to join the EFV8CA, and come to one of our National Meets. We have two scheduled this year, one in Utah and the other in North Carolina. Your classification would be "Rouge", that being for original unrestored cars. In this classification, cars are judged for originality rather than condition, so any restoration you do in preparation would be counter productive.

I might suggest that you locate a Detroit Lubricator and a manifold for show purposes. You should invest in the 32 Book, available on this website, guaranteed to teach you considerably more about your car that you already know. It's not a cheap book (two volumes), but then, your car deserves it.

Alan

3w2
12-28-2009 @ 8:49 PM
Senior

Don't be misled. While there is wood in a '32 five-window body, all of it is there for attaching upholstery panels and the top insert fabric. None of it is structural and all of it is available in reproduction form. It is not a composite body. You can remove it all for replacement without risk to the body.

This is another good reason to follow Alan's advice and invest in the book(s).

ethacker
01-04-2010 @ 11:00 AM

Thanks Alan. I've been a member for a little over a year and own the 32 Ford book. I'm in San Jose, CA, so the national meets are a bit of a trek for me; I'll hit one when they are a bit closer. Good to know there is a class for original unrestored cars. I'm not planning on changing anything except the wiring harness and replacing some gears in the tranny. I don't know how original it all is given its cloudy past but I'm sure I can find someone in the Golden Gate club to provide a look over for me.

I was mostly asking for value out of curiosity. I've no idea what original unrestored cars go for. I just don't see any. My dad was asking me to find out what it was worth these days so I was trying to give a guesstimate to him. I've got it insured for $50,000 but that was a SWAG.

I'll try to attach a photo to this response.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org