LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Accelerating before shift, then bogs down

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Accelerating before shift, then bogs down -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

dggohl
06-26-2016 @ 5:49 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. As i was driving home from my farm today, i too thought about the fuel pump, bowl etc. I'll look into that. If not the answer, I'll take your suggestions. When I purchased the motor from a "seasoned flathead veteran" he said the motor sat out of the car for about 7 year. When pulled, it was a smooth running unit. Thanks.

len47merc
06-26-2016 @ 5:23 PM
Senior

dogghl - I re-read this entire thread and may have gotten side tracked a bit with my earlier post but you may have multiple problems going on now so keep my fuel system air leak discussion in your back pocket. Up until you started talking 'back fire' and timing changes your symtoms sounded quite familiar to my fuel pump bowl seal air leak. Given your comments about your work on the distributor I agree completely with Tom that you should have it set-up properly on the proper equipment as a first order of business. Take Tom's recommendations as more than just suggestions - he's one of (if not The) best on this Forum when it comes to these types of issues. As simple as these distributors look they are not intuitively obvious (kind of like the air leak on the fuel pump bowl) to work on. Get your distributor right and eliminate it as a root cause of your problem.

Btw - my leak on the gas bowl seal spontaneously started several thousand miles after installing a new fuel pump and was not tied to any work done on the car.

Again, you may ultimately find you had or may now have more than one issue going on, particularly given your changes to your distributor. It may be helpful for you to work one aspect at a time to be sure you know what truly is the root cause and it will also better help these seasoned experts like Tom and others get you running again more quickly.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-26-16 @ 5:24 PM

TomO
06-26-2016 @ 9:59 AM
Senior

The Ford and Mercury distributors share the same design in 53. The springs may not have the correct tension to create the correct advance curve. This can only be correctly determined on a distributor machine.

Tom

len47merc
06-26-2016 @ 7:41 AM
Senior

I don't want to put words in shogun1940's mouth so will leave it to him to respond to your question but think I know what he means and will describe a flathead experience and solution that sounds somewhat similar to yours.

When accelerating up to 3,000-3,500 rpm and shifting, and when running steady on the highway at 55 mph on a flat then starting up a long grade/slope, the car would 'dive' on me, meaning the motor simply quit as if it had lost spark or, as found out to be the case later, was starving for fuel. When not accelerating so aggressively or slowing back down to 40-45 mph, respectively, the engine would not do this when shifting and would re-fire when slowing down to 40-45 on the highway and continue on. Using input from this Forum it was quickly diagnosed as the glass bowl seal on the fuel pump was leaking air and the pump was not supplying enough fuel to the carb under both these conditions. After removing the bowl and seal, cleaning all and then reinserting the seal (flipped over) and firmly tightening the bowl the problem was effectively eliminated. The seal would leak air during operation but never leaked fuel either during operation or when off. The bowl was always full as well so it was not intuitively obvious what was going on - under higher rpms or extended runs any further demand for fuel could not be met by the fuel pump sucking air.

Any air leak in your fuel delivery system can create this fuel starvation condition. If this sounds similar to your situation, have you thoroughly examined this from fuel tank to the carb? Again, leaks of this nature will allow air into the system but may very likely not leak or show fuel. Fwiw.

Steve

dggohl
06-26-2016 @ 5:44 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by running out of gas. In first gear I can rev it high, (i don't have an rpm gauge) and all i get is mild hesitation. I did the same in 2nd gear, high rev and more hesitation persisted.

dggohl
06-26-2016 @ 5:41 AM

I didn't. After re-adjusting the timing to the 2 degrees advance timing, the backfire ceased.

shogun1940
06-25-2016 @ 6:42 PM

What happens if you wind it up in first to 3500 rpm does it run out of gas,, just curious ?

trjford8
06-25-2016 @ 3:43 PM
Senior

Did you change the condenser? The backfiring can be a sign of a bad condenser.

dggohl
06-25-2016 @ 8:31 AM

Tom,

I did replace the vacuum advance. This is a Merc distributor. Seem to help a bit, but still have hesitation. I re-timed, and now experiencing a little back fire. Now, there is a screw on the side of the distributor, haven't turned not knowing what its for. Doing research now to determine. Plenty of vacuum from the carb upon acceleration. 18 inches of vacuum on test. Still stumped.

TomO
06-25-2016 @ 7:33 AM
Senior

I strongly suggest that you have your distributor set up on a distributor machine before you replace the vacuum advance. The Ford distributor is unique in that it does not have mechanical advance weights to set up the mechanical advance, it uses springs to accomplish this. If it is not set properly, the gas mileage and performance will suffer. If the diaphragm is bad on the vacuum advance, it will show up on the tests done on the distributor machine.

I don't have any personal experience with shops that do this, but if you post your location, someone else may be able to give a recommendation.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org