LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Dual Exhaust/Smithys Benefits - ?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dual Exhaust/Smithys Benefits - ? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
04-27-2016 @ 4:03 AM
Senior

Beyond look & sound, have any of you that have converted to dual exhaust and non-stock mufflers such as Smithys realized any performance improvement from the change(s)? If so, what improvements (fuel mileage, power, etc.) and in general how much?

If you converted to duals did you stay with the original size pipe diameter or change? If you changed - to what size?

Are any of you running Smithys or equivalent straight-thru glass packs on single exhaust systems and if so same question about performance.

Lastly, if you are running a single exhaust Smithys or equivalent how does a single Smithys sound to your ear? Too compressed/'spitty', too loud or robust and rich?

Thanks -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-27-16 @ 4:15 AM

ken ct.
04-27-2016 @ 6:20 AM
Senior

I removed my mufflers and run straight pipes , used stock size TP,s to rear ,insert motor cycle (2 stroke) short 6" baffels in the ends of pipes. Not loud at all and never been stopped in 5-6 yrs of running that way by the POLice. lol Love um. ken ct. omo

len47merc
04-27-2016 @ 6:31 AM
Senior

Hey Ken - thanks for your reply. I will appreciate your and others' thoughts on the performance questions I posed though.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 4-27-16 @ 6:32 AM

trjford8
04-27-2016 @ 7:00 AM
Senior

I've always used regular glass packs. Inexpensive and a good sound for duals.

len47merc
04-27-2016 @ 7:23 AM
Senior

Guys - I appreciate your sharing what it is that you use, but that does not address any of the questions regarding performance. Please advise in that regard - thanks in advance.

Steve

flathead4rd
04-27-2016 @ 7:43 AM

I don't think you will any performance improvement just by adding dual exhaust. At least nothing you can feel. It might help a little with cooling but most owners just do it for the sound. I use Brockman glass pack mufflers on mine but I'm running a very modified flathead. Love the sound.

TomO
04-27-2016 @ 7:47 AM
Senior

I did not notice any increase in power after installing headers and Smithys. The engine does run cooler though. The gas mileage seems about the same.

The pipes are 2" all the way back.

Tom

fordv8j
04-27-2016 @ 12:17 PM

I have Reds headers and dual smittys on both our 38,,,sounds great,but didn't help mileage,still around 15mpg,,no power increase

1934 Ford
04-27-2016 @ 5:35 PM
Senior

I have duals with two cherry bomb glass packs on my 34 Fordor, not loud but nice.
My 35 pickup has single exhaust with one cherry bomb glass pack. Nice sound too.
Our 34 phaeton had original style exhaust single exhaust and muffler. all I heard was the fan.
The original system was correct, but not as much fun to listen to when we were touring. I like to
hear the 221 cubic inches and 85 horses working. As for speed, who cares? The flathead V8 was
quick in it's day and still walks away from other cars of similar vintage on Glidden type tours, with either style exhaust.

1934 Ford's since 1972

len47merc
04-27-2016 @ 6:49 PM
Senior

Thanks 1934 Ford, fordv8j, Tom and flathead4rd - think you guys nailed all the considerations I was looking for.

The original muffler on my '47 is beginning to show some initial external telltale signs after 69 years. I am fortunate to have received a complete NOS original single-exhaust system with the car including a new muffler, all with the original tags still attached. Given the plan is to go for the Rouge Medallion Award (running gear) in Gettysburg I want to stay all original but if the muffler goes I was considering a temporary Smithys or equivalent on the single exhaust until the drive to PA and judging.

Like 1934 ford the '47 with the original muffler is so quiet it is hard to tell the car is running at times or if it cranked or not. The car owns quietest car awards in a couple of local clubs. Just thought for sxxts & grins perhaps it would be interesting to try a glass pack if you guys indicated the sound was rich and robust versus an over-compressed 'spit' on a single exhaust. If performance improvements existed then that would have been a bonus down the road, but this does not sound like it is the case.

Thanks to all -

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org