LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / car quite after driving 5-10 miles

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: car quite after driving 5-10 miles

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

lzeiglerct
11-26-2015 @ 3:34 PM

I have a 1935 Ford that after driving 5-10 miles quits. It cranks over and there is no spark to the plugs. I had the coil tested and it was in very good condition. I was given s few used condensers to try and with one it seemed to start and run well. Then drove about 6 miles and it quit. waited about 15 min and it started again. I plan to buy a new condenser but does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

MG
11-26-2015 @ 5:14 PM
Senior

How was it determined that your coil "was in very good condition"???

lzeiglerct
11-27-2015 @ 7:03 AM

I sent the coil to a guy in Punta Gorda Florida that rebuilds coils. He tested it and said it was in excellent condition. Part of his test was getting the coil hot....he said hotter than it would get in the car, and he said that it preformed very well

This message was edited by lzeiglerct on 11-27-15 @ 7:05 AM

drkbp
11-27-2015 @ 9:19 AM

Sounds like a bad coil and I guess you are running the 3-hole biscuit coil, correct? I also assume you don't have anyone nearby with a "for sure" good coil off a driver.

May I suggest:

1. Send the coil off to one of the rebuilders. I have never had a coil rebuilt for my V8 in the forty years I have owned it but one I hear about is named Haney.

2. Buy one of the coil adaptor kits available from the vendors. It allows you to run a regular 6-volt coil and condenser. The coil and condenser are both auto parts or Tractor Supply items. As I recall, those coils have an internal resistor and you wire accordingly.

When you get your coil back from the rebuilder, you will then have a spare with the "adaptor" set-up.
-----------------------------

I have had my '35 Cabriolet since 1975 and keep a spare coil and condenser in the glove box. I look at driving without the spare coil in the glove box just like running around without a spare tire. I have had a couple of flats but yet to be stopped over a coil.

Through the years, I have collected a dozen or more coils for the '35. What I do with the "used" coils is put them on the car and run them for a minimum of 50 miles. Take it off and tag it as "good" and put it on the shelf. I probably have a lifetime supply...

Ken in Texas

TomO
11-27-2015 @ 9:38 AM
Senior

I would check for voltage at the input to the coil. It should vary between about 3 volts to around 6 volts as you crank the engine.

If it does not vary, check the points and the condenser. If the voltage does not go to 6 volts with the points open, check the ignition resistor and the switch.

Tom

40 Coupe
11-27-2015 @ 10:25 AM
Senior

Beside the coils sometimes going bad when exposed to heat, the ignition condensers also can become thermal. A pile of old condensers may be a pile of junk, as you are finding out. NAPA sells a new condenser FA5 or even IH200 which will require some modifications. I have had several from the aftermarket parts suppliers and they were all defective. Skips rebuilt coils do not usually go bad!

MG
11-27-2015 @ 11:06 AM
Senior

@lzeiglerct said: "I sent the coil to a guy in Punta Gorda Florida that rebuilds coils. He tested it and said it was in excellent condition. Part of his test was getting the coil hot....he said hotter than it would get in the car, and he said that it preformed very well."

That Skip Haney tested your coil, you can feel confident that the coil is not your problem. I like TomO's and 40 Coupe's suggestions above....

This message was edited by MG on 11-27-15 @ 11:07 AM

11-29-2015 @ 7:23 PM

I think your coil is fine. This is a long shot but take the back of the ing switch apart and clean the connectors inside. A little bad connection on these points can do exactly what your problem is. Also tighten the connectors on the outside of the switch. When your car quits do you have headlites?

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org